Upgrade site from .Net Framework 2.0 to 3.5

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by rwalker, Dec 2, 2007.

1. I just tried to update my site to .Net Framework 3.5 (from 2.0) and get the following exception trying to load any page:

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection'.
    at System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection.GetConfigurationSection()
    at System.Web.Security.AuthenticationService.EnsureConfigLoaded()
    at System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule.ShouldSkipAuthorization(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule.AuthenticateRequestHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

It appears to be some sort of version conflict since the assembly names are the same. The site worked in my dev environment just fine. I believe all the references in the web.config are referencing 3.5 assemblies. Has anyone else successfully updated to 3.5? Are there any special web.config settings I need to add to work with DiscountASP?

The only reference I could find while google'ing this issue is a conflict with the incorrect version of ajaxControlToolkit. I use the control toolkit but I updated that and it worked fine locally.

Thanks,

Ray

2. Thatwas the first thing Itried. The download was dated Nov. 29thand it didn't make a difference.

3. In AjaxControlToolkit-Framework3.5.zip the compiled AjaxControlToolkit.dll is dated 28 Nov 2007.

Currently:
    Assembly version 3.0.11119.25533
    Product version 3.0.11119.0

Is that the one you tested?

Note: There were some bugs in the initial release apparently.
    Take a look at David's post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/delay/archive/2007/11/29/getting-the-toolkit-working-with-the-vs-2008-web-site-designer-ajax-control-toolkit-11119-release-update.aspx

Salute,
    Mark

Post Edited (wisemx) : 12/3/2007 12:12:46 AM GMT

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Ding!!! It seems like the ASP.NET 2.0 Service Pack (bundled with the.NET 3.5 install)is breaking a lot of existing code.

We have seen a good number of people reporting issues.

I'll do some research and see if i can come up w/ a fix on your problem.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Yes, that is the version I am using. That web link is referring to using the control toolkit in the designer, which I am not doing.It also seems if it was some sort of version issue with my version of the ajaxControlToolkit that it would not work in my local development environment either. I will have to try to create a very small sample from scratch to see if that works on the hosted site.

Thanks.

6. Hi,
    I have solved it removing the xmlns attibute from <configuration> element of web.config file.

regards
    Leo

7. That worked for me as well. Thanks.