Uploading a Publisher 2007 site

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by karrin.anderson, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm a volunteer webspinner for my son's school's PTA and am trying to post a website using MS publisher and Asp.net (both for the first time). I think I may be missing a basic step--can someone offer insight to the newbie please?

I posted the following details to the helpdesk and got their response (below)

I created a website in microsoft publisher 2007 and successfully reserved my domain. I'm trying to publish my site but I cannot get either the ftp or the url uploading in publisher to work. Do I need to do something additionally to my account to ready it for publishing? I'm new to website publishing and am worried that I'm missing a basic step--or perhaps there are compatibility problems with Publisher 2007/Microsoft Vista.

Here are the directions I'm trying to follow:
    In the Publish to the Web dialog box, in the File name box, type the URL of the Web or network server where you want to save your Web site. For example, type http://www.northwindtraders.com.
    Click Save.

--Note: in the file name box, I've tried the discountasp.net site, the alternative url for my site, my regular domain name. I keep getting the error message that says "the filename you have entered is too long or contains illegal characters." I'm thinking this may be the source of error. I've not gotten past this step successfully---

If prompted, type your user name and password, and then click OK.
    The directory that is associated with your URL will appear in the Publish to the Web dialog box.

Double-click the folder where you want to save your Web site.
    In the File name box, select index as the default name for your home page, and then click Save.

9/19/2007 11:02:05 PM

Dear Customer,

You should be able to use publisher to ftp your files to our server. Try going into File/Publish to The Web. There should be an option to Add an FTP connection. Input the ftp address as ftp.baconpta.org. The login will be the same as your discountasp account login and password.
    Please understand that we can only provide limited support to the usage and configuration of MS Publisher. Please also post your question on our community forum at http://community.discountasp.net for more recommendations and alternatives.

me again--I tried to ftp but kept getting a message that I didn't have permission to access the files (after using my Asp.net login name and password.

Any ideas?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

post your settings. Based on the error, it looks like you put something invalid in the path (make sure there's no white space)

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.