users see an error page while I upload to a live site

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by vvsharma, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Problem: When I upload a change to a live site users see an error page while the upload is in progress. Once done and compiled the page is fine. The error page is:
    The process cannot access the file 'E:\whatever_the_file_is.aspx' because it is being used by another process.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I thought the application pool would only direct users to the new application instance after the changes were compiled, but apparently not. Can anyone tell me how to do changes to a live site that are transparent to the end user?

I'm using VS 2005 Pro, C#, asp.net 2.0.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Jason

2. Vikram:
    Thanks for your help! I'm actually really surprised, I assumed there was a way to do transparent live changes (besides using multiple servers). The 'app_offline.htm' is good to know, but it's actually worse, because instead of seeing an error for one page all users of all pages will see an error, albeit a more friendly one.

I think instead I'll use a custom error page. Thanks again for your help, you saved me from spending a lot of time looking for a non-existent solution!
    Jason