UTF-8

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by pongourcom1, Sep 1, 2008.

1. One of my applications uses UTF-8 input. However, SQLSERVER 2005 doesn't seem to support UTF-8; and I have no way to store/retrieve UTF-8 values to/from my database.
    Somebody please help me out.
    Luc

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

what is the data type? Make sure you set it to nvarchar

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. The data type is nvachar. Specifically, my application involves some Vietnamese text with corresponsding accents. After storing those values into SQLServer 2005 I tried to retrieve them back and found some weird "?" in place of those characters with accents on.

Thanks

4. I see everything with "?" whereVietnamese characters have an accent like "V?n H?a V? H?i", where the "?" representsVietnamse vowels with an accent on.

5. I have taken a look at the links you provided. On Vista or any other Windows OSVietnamese characters soulc not be netered corrctly without launching athird-party softwareapplication, i.e., VPS. Those characters, however, have no way to enter into MS SQLServer tables as is.To give a you an idea I enter a short phrase in Vietnamese, "Tôi di h?c" ("I go to school"). That same string could not reproduce exactly in SQLServer database. It should be mentioned that this problem doesn't exist for PHP and MySQL.

Luc

6. I don't have time to experiment with this but maybe SQL Server 2008 does a better job. [​IMG]

By the way, thanks for brushing me up on some language.
    I've studied Japanese and Korean over the years.
    Salute,
    Mark

7. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

if you query the database using SQL client (query analyser or SQL manager), do you see those text?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. Hi,
    I think part of the problem is the complexity of Vietnamese, which is not working properly with some products.
    Michael Kaplan talks about this:
    https://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008/03/26/8337198.aspx

Something that may help is the Vietnamese language pack for DotNetNuke.
    You may be able to see how they are doing this.
    Salute,
    Mark

9. Do you have any specific information about SQLSERVER 2008 supporting UTF-8, please?

Luc

10. Hi,
    Nothing specific but I have noticed blogs about the new extension methods in SQL Server 2008.
    And then the unicode articles in BOL:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175180.aspx

The new Extension methods are similar to the way you work with modules in IIS7.
    I don't know if we will have access to that here but it is a very handy feature.
    Salute,
    Mark