vanity / custom url / url rewrite

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by radpin, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Hey there everyone. Looking forward to being on a more solid hosting provider, especially one that specializes in .Net.

I'm interested in doing url rewrites, for the sake of "vanity urls", like www.mysite.com/usernamexyz, etc.

What I've read seems to indicate that it's an IIS setting, but I also seem to remember you can do it via trapping the request event in global.asax.

Thanks so much for any ideas. Before I look for any particular method, I was interested in one that will work with this host.
    [​IMG]

2. Welcome aboard! And yes, this is a great community for ASP.NET developers.

There are many ways to rewrite Urls, even simply stripping out the 'www' for your entire site.

Of the best methods, because they're easier to maintain, is the web.config handlers.
    Fortunately developer.com just published a great article on this:
    http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/3703901

Salute,
    Mark

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I think you will need to ask support to configure wildcard mapping to point to ASP.NET ISAPI and the programatically rewrite the URL.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Hey Bruce, what your are saying is that there is a way to do url rewrite without programming , is it right ?

5. It has been for a while now.
    Do a Google search, or MSDN, for IISRewrite

6. What do you mean, 2 weeks is a while ? Is that a tool like isapi rewrite , if so does discountasp have it installed

7. Create a Support ticket and ask, I'm guessing they do.