Video Streaming

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by jleeie, May 13, 2008.

1. Hi folks

I have a website with a video clip. My understnding is that the video clip will be downloaded to the browsers' pc before running. This is time consuming for the user and may prevent them from looking at the clip. The clip is a mixture of tutorial and sales information, so it is important that users watch it.I am told thatvideo streaming will allow the user see and hear the video clip quicker because it buffers a few packets and play them and get more from the server etc. I have created a <div> in the source of my webform and put in the video clip into it.

Do I needadditional code to enable streaming ?
    Doesdiscountasp.net support video streaming ?

My video clip is a windows media audio/video file.

Can anyone give me some advice and code as this is all very new to me.

Thanks in the hope that someone will help.

James

2. DiscountASP does not provide any media streaming services which buffer the media. You'll have to use a third party streaming service.

Microsoft provides a free streaming service via Silverlight Streaming. At least it's free for now, andyou can upload up to 10GB! It will require your users to install Silverlight on their computer. Silverlight is Microsoft's version of Flash. Check out http://silverlight.live.com. After you upload a video, they will give you some code. All you do is stick that code into your page.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET