Vista-VWD Exp-Ajax

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by rassler, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Has anyone gotVista-SP1-Ajax combination working yet?

The VWD download is the latest from the site, then follow the SP1 updates which takes you to seperate instructions for Vista (in the small print under the main link :) ).

The install succeeds, but VWD still asks you for the update when you start it up. I am not sure what is inside the updates, is there something obvious I should be able to see if the updates are properly installed and the message I get is just a mistake?

The About box doesn't suggest the SP1install is done, but I'm not sure if it would be seen there.

Anyway, I installed the asp.net ajax 1.0. I can create a new project from New Project menu that is ajax enabled. All I don't get are the ToolBox parts. I can follow the video tutorial of a TodoListby typing the sections in manually, so the ajax has added properly in that respect. I have tried to add the tool to ToolBoxby browsing to the dll's, but theyare reportedto be in a different format, which is maybe where the SP1 updates come into it.

I suspect that the problem is SP1, this is a new Vista fully updated (aren't they all). But after several tries the update just doesn't stick.

I was thinking of buying the full Studio, because of upcoming projects, but actually I have spent a fortune on software for Vista and not having a great deal of luck with it. The new graphics system seems to have problems, unless you particularly like black screens. So I'm a bit nervous of shelling out the cost of Studio now.

If you had more luck it would be nice to know how you managed it.

Rassler
    One of those dreaded IT/Programmer types.
    Which generally means, failed to make a decent living at programming so do IT too.

2. I've been using Vista since Beta on one of my machines (recently upgraded to the full version with all updates) and have had nothing but problems with everything. Some are small, while others are show stoppers.

I've kind of given up trying to get things to run on Vista at this point, I will be installing XP again on that machine.

FYI - my computer is about a year old, but then again it's a pretty nice Alienware so it should be able to handle things for the most part.

I think Vista is still too new to try and develop on it, I run Visual Studio Pro on my three machines, but the Vista machine is constantly causing problems. I don't think upgrading will help your problem.

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I've seen quite a few people posting in the asp.net forum saying that they have problem w/ Vista and VS.NET / VWD.

I have not tested this myself but I am planning to get Vista install this week. Will let you guys know if it works.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET