Visual Studio 2005 beta 2 ClickOnce deployment of windows forms

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by cebucoder, May 9, 2005.

1. Hello,
    When using the Publish wizard in VS2005 beta 2 to publish a windows form application (not asp) using the ClickOnce technology, it fails because Frontpage Server Extensions are not installed on the beta test site at server1.dotnetsandbox.net.
    I see from the Account Features List that Frontpage Server Extensions are not supported.
    Can anyone tell mewhere to find instructionsfor deploying a windows form exe to the sandbox account?
    ClickOnce is supposed to be a way to deploy rich client applications over the web.
    Thanks

2. Ok, to hell with the ClickOnce instant deployment, I just FTPd the whole publish folder built by Visual Studio.

Now, when I try to launch the thing at:

http://beta-120778.server1.dotnetsandbox.net/publish/publish.htmthe .application file is just dumped into the browser as XML. Is discountasp.net just not the place to deploy Windows Forms for .net 2.0?

3. Ok, so you have to set the mime type in IIS:

MIME type mappings

When publishing over HTTP, the MIME type for the .application file should be application/x-ms-application. If you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed on the server, this will be set for you automatically. If this is not installed, then you need to create a MIME type association for the ClickOnce application vroot (or entire server).

To do this in IIS:

• Run inetmgr and open the Properties page for vroot (or entire server).

• Select the HTTP Headers tab.

• Click the File Types button in the Mime Map section.

• Click New Type to add a new type. In Associated Extension, type application; in Content Type (MIME), type application/x-ms-application.
    So is the .Net Framework 2.0 really installed in this server. Doesn't seem to be.

4. Thank you for the infomration, 3 additional MIME type has been registered on the server:

.application -> application/x-ms-application
    .deploy -> application/x-ms-application
    .manifest -> application/x-ms-application

Since we only installed the .NET Framework Runtime (Beta 2) on the server, these MIME are not registered automatically by the installer.