VS copy web....should I be using frontpage extensions?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by bcsmith, Apr 25, 2008.

1. O.K. with your comments I have finally figured out what everyone is saying....VS requires the frontpage extensions to be turned on if you use the 'Remote Site' mode...which I was...but if you use the FTP mode the Frontpage extensions are NOT required.....this is what was confusing me....VS, when I tried to upload and the reading I had done said that it was required....but it would be great to have been told that this was ONLY FOR the 'REMOTE SITE' mode.....thank you so much....

2. I should go into rehab for this...
    Still recovering from using FPE for ASP commerce years ago.

Not only did they make the site a mess they made backing the site up a nightmare.

In my opinion the only thing that kept them alive this long was, um, laziness.
    But I may have to wash my mouth with soap now. [​IMG]

3. I actually remember when MS announced Frontpage and I thought it was a bad technology then....over time they made it into asp and then asp.net so some things never die, but they should. After I finish this application I going to learn asp.net mvc. I have used Java and struts (kind of like rails).... I am hoping that this will improve things. But I am not kidding myself MS always has problems with what they deliver....sometimes it is just more apparent.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

FP extension is SOOO mess up.

Don't use it unless you have to!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Different people keep telling me different things on this.....from what I have read I need to (and do) have the frontpage extensions installed if I am using VisualStudio's Copy Website for installing my application.

However, technical support is telling me NOT to use the extensions. So which is it...do I use the extensions or not? If someone could let me know I would appreciate it....First level technical support has said a lot of things to me...some of which are true...so I would like to confirm this before I mess up my site.

6. Turn them off, pretty please.

Turn them off then torch the files on your remote site.

Then use the Copy Website feature to FTP the files to your remote site.

That way your remote site will be cleaner and easier for you to maintain down the road.