VS Web dev 2005 beta 2 - Personal Starter web kit (SQL issues on DiscountAsp.net

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by TheMaxx2005, May 10, 2005.

1. All,

Very new to VS2005 and ASP.NET 2.0 so wondering if you can give me some pointers. when I deployed my Personal web Site to discountAsp.net I get the error below

Now I think it two things, either

1) SQL connection in the default App needs to be changed, is this because the original site defaults to a fixed location, I not changed that, so its the same as if you would do a new project

2) The DB is a SQL2005 one and therefore that the issue, in which case can/how do I update the Starter web kit to get to work with SQL Server 2000, as I have that on my mine site.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

Line 5: Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As [Object], ByVal e As EventArgs)
    Line 6: AddHandler SiteMap.SiteMapResolve, AddressOf Me.AppendQueryString
    Line 7: If (Roles.RoleExists("Administrators") = False) Then
    Line 8: Roles.CreateRole("Administrators")
    Line 9: End If

2. 1. Yes, the personal starter kit use SQL 2005 express by default, you will need to update that to use your SQL 2000 database instead.

2. The personal starter kit use 2 databases (one as the membership provider and one for the photo album data). For the membership database schema, you can createa SQL script that generate the schemausing the aspnet_regsql.exe utility (this comes with .NET framework 2.0). For the content database, you can get the SQL script for the DB at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2EE85ED4-7613-47E2-8375-17222B150E4F&displaylang=en

For personal starter kit, I get that to work using 1 SQL 2000 database instead of 2 (I simply execute those SQL script on the same database, there is no object name conflict). You can see the working version at: http://beta-75348.server1.dotnetsandbox.net/

3. Hi!

I got the personal website, which I would like to get up running on DiscountASP, but I'm not quite sure what I should do to get there. Those steps Danny mentions, are someone able to specify further how to please?

I got it running localy on the SQL Server Express 2005 and want it converted to SQL Server 2000 on a DiscountASP solution.

Regards
    Flemming Kristensen

4. Hi!

I now got anSQL Server 2000 database configured on DiscountASP. If I understand correct, I should be able to use Toad to export the database from my local SQL Express 2005to the server? I've got the connection to work all right from within toad and I've downloaded the script from Microsoft site, to add photo and albums tables. But I'm not sure as to how to get going from here. The database is named DB_155930_xxxx now.

If anyone could give me a hint on what to do now to get the personal website to work, I'dbe greatful.

Regards
    Flemming