Web Site Administration Tool

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by msawyer, May 29, 2006.

1. Newbie...

I want to use WAT to administer my web site (in production), however, I do not know how to access it.
    I am used to seeing it during local development by clicking on VS 2005 Website->ASP.Net Configuration.

I've also tried www.domainname.com/Webadmin.axd

If there is another "best practices" type of way, let me know.

Thanks

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

The ASP.NET Website Admin tool is intended for use in the local environment.

The tool is basically a GUI for editing the web.config file (except the membership section where it actually connect to the database). What this mean is that you can use the tool to edit the local copy of your web.config file and upload it to our server.

If you need to access the membership / security section, see http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10413

Post Edited By Moderator (Joel Thoms) : 5/30/2006 10:23:29 PM GMT

3. Bruce,

Thank you for your help.

This is my first experience using .NET 2.0 and the its security features. I want to use forms authentication for my web site, but am confused on how the login/role information can be managed, non-programmatically. Do I set up the roles, etc locally and then export the local tables to the production database and, if necessary, update web.config?

Thank you,
    Martin

4. It's really up to you how you'd want to work in your development environment. Your 2 options are:

1. If your connection string is set to your local SQLExpress database then you'll have to export the data to your production database afterward.

2. If you set the connection string to your production SQL 2005 database, when you use the web admin tool it will add the user/roles data directly to your production database. Most people don't like to work with the production database directly, though.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

6. Thanks everybody for the great information!

Martin