WebMail Not Working Today!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Developer2008, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I just want to thank the moron who decided that we must authenticate our e-mail address before we can report a technical support problem! What a great idea when it is the e-mail system that isn't working!

WebMail reliability has been the #1 problem at DASP over the many years that I've been hosting with them. Now, because I can't report this problem using the old tech support ticket system, I have to tell the world through this forum! Really stupid!

2. mjp

mjp

Actually, you have always had to authenticate your email address before support would do most things. The only difference now is the support system does it automatically, rather than one of the morons here asking you for a password or credit card verification.

You can always email support directly, at [email protected].

3. You are wrong! Over the years I've reported countless e-mail failures (server down, unable to connect, etc.) and other outages, and I was always able to do so using the support ticket system via the Control Panel (when it was working) ... no e-mail authentication required!

Your insane suggestion to use e-mail ([email protected]) to report an e-mail problem is laughable. First of all, in the past you people repeatedly discouraged customers from using this method to report problems, encouraging the support ticket system. Secondly, if there's ane-mail outage how am I supposed to use this system? [Please don't say "sign up for a free G-mail, hotmail(et. al.)account" for this purpose. All you would be saying is that free services from Google, Microsoft, etc. are more reliable than the DASP services we are paying money for.]

A moron says what?

4. mjp

mjp

Well, there was no need to authenticate an email address when you logged in to control panel to submit a ticket. The log in was authentication. The new system uses the email address as the unique identifier, not the user name, so there is no way to authenticate without validating the address.

If you emailed support directly in the past, as I suggested you do now, you had to authenticate through another method, which is time consuming. That's why we recommended using the Helpdesk Ticket Manager. This system introduces another step, but as of now that step is unavoidable.

We do not recommend using your hosted domain for an email contact, for what I always assumed were obvious reasons. If you insist on doing so, we allow you to add a second contact email in Control Panel. But every web host on the face of the earth will advise you not to use a hosted domain as an email contact. The reason being, we have all been dealing with the same problems for the past 15 years and want to do what we can to avoid them. That is a generic web hosting issue, not a DiscountASP issue.