Website Review: Suburbe

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by stan_e, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Hi all,

After a year of displaying an 'under construction' page, I have finally uploaded some markup, css and c# /emoticons/wink.gif I use my website for displaying several RSS Feeds about the subject 'Business Intelligence'.

Development has been done with VS 2005 and MyGeneration doodAds (www.mygenerationsoftware.com/portal/default.aspx). I've used doodAds to create a Data Access Layer between my database and the web app, it's a great framework when you're not fond of writing queries /emoticons/smile.gif An other resource has been the book 'CSS Mastery' by Andy Budd.

If have tried to markup as close to the W3C web standards but have still some work to do.

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome. Thanks in advance!

suburbe.nl/feeds

Best regards,

Stan.

2. Looks like a lot of content.
    That's probably more of a good thing than bad.

One thing appears somewhat odd;
    Just offering some opinion...
    The site and the About page boast of .NET goodies, including DotNetNuke,and experience...
    However the site forums are PHPBB.
    Itmight strike a lot of developers as odd that a DotNetNuke "advisor" site would run PHPBB.
    <opinion />

3. Thanks for the comments wisemx! I agree it is a lot of content, and I am thinking about ways to improve readability. To be clear what you see: it's an overview of articles published on other websites and blogs. I just use the RSS feeds to create an overview of published articles...

But I don't really understand your remark about the technology used: I don't use DotNetNuke and I don't have forums (it isn't mentioned on the About-page). Are you sure you opened the correct url?

Greetz,
    Stan.

Post Edited (Stan_Suburbe) : 2/19/2007 4:38:10 PM GMT

4. You're right, I only clicked on the top link not the Netherlands link, but I did just now.

Nice way to display information about the links you hover over for sure, very helpful. [​IMG]

Would URL rewriting be too much trouble to maintain?
    Some of the URLs are very long and appear to be generated by GUIs.
    My point there is trivial but URL rewriting is a hot topic on ASP.NET 2.0 lately.

5. /emoticons/smile.gif Thanks for the remarks! I just looked into URL Mapping/Rewriting for ASP.NET 2.0, interesting. It seems support will even be better in IIS 7.0 ('querystring rewriting' possible). I will take a closer look at it!

6. Thanks for the link Joel!