What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by nigpig, May 3, 2005.

1. http://www.usb-products.com is an information and store site. Although it is early days with traffic (4th month), I am not getting customers to purchase products. This could be because:
    1. My prices are too high
    2. The site does not give the customer trust in me or give enough confidence

If you have any views please let me know.

Thanks

Nigel[​IMG]

2. Hi Nigel,

The overall presentation of your site is nice. It certainly does not give the impression that it is made by an amateur, so point 2 of your suggestion is quite unlikely (maybe one suggestion : a search tool for your site might be handy). I'm not familiar with prices regarding usb-products, so I can't give you an opinion about that.

However, one thing that might bea problem is how your site is going to be found. I googled on 'usb product store' and didn't find any hit in the first results ... so if you can do something about your 'findability', it might be a step closer to higher sales ...

success !

--
    Steurm
    www.steurm.net/steurm
    [​IMG]

3. 1 - probably searchability. Don't expect a conversion rate to be very high for a site like this as there are a ton of online vendors to compete with. It's a numbers game and you need to drive in a ton of traffic and not expect more than say 5% to convert. Plus if its an informational site, many will come just for the information, which would mean it would be lower yet. I find Google Adwords and Overture to be very effective at driving in traffic if you know what to do

2 - layout. While the site isn't an eyesore, nothing says 'professional' either. Maybe make some friends that do graphics design to spice it up a little and make it look like its not a person doing this from his garage.

3 - I don't see any prices. I clicked through several times to find pricing and was unsuccessful. Maybe you have that temporarily disabled but if I'm shopping I will give it 2 clicks and if there's no price, I move on. I'm not going to check your pricing, but you should already have done that. Put yourself in the seat of the consumer and do some comparison searches. Put your product database in product searches such as froogle and see how you compare.

4 - accountability. aside from the 'geotrust' cert, there is very little that tells me who you really are and why i should trust you with my personal info. Shoppers are becoming more in tune with that, and will go to a bigger name for that reason