What's the deal with SQL Express ?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Takeshi Eto, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

2. Terse but effective ! What was the answer to my other question concerning MySQL ?

Jon

3. Hi Bruce,

I posted in this forum yesterday aboutdeploying one of MS' starter kits that they are promoting heavily with ASP.net 2.0.

These kits all use a local SQL Express database.

The MSDN documentation says the following regarding deploying of SQL Express databases :

"While you can move a database using Copy Web or a simple xcopy or FTP operation, the target machine must also be running SQL Server Express (under the same instance name) in order for the application to continue working. As mentioned above, because all applications running as ASP.NET connect to the same SQL instance, all applications on the target machine should be trusted to each other. On machines where applications should not be able to see each other's database, the server-based approach (using SQL authentication or other isolation technique) is recommended instead of a local database. If you use SQL Server Express as a development tool, you will need to copy your SQL Server Express database contents to the provisioned server database as part of production deployment."

So my question is -is SQL Express included inyour base package or do we have to sign up for full blown SQL server ?This of course will double my monthly cost, which for a <5mb database seems a tad disproportionate.

Incidentally which version of MYSQL are you supporting as I believe prior to v5 it does not support stored procedures ?

Appreciate clarification. Thanks

Jon

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff