What's up with e-mail service?

Discussion in 'Email' started by jdcrutchley, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. What's the deal with the e-mail service here? Seems like every couple of days there's a new outtage on one server or other. This is my second outtage in as many days. Why are the e-mail servers so fragile?

2. If you are having an issue please create a ticket via the control panel so that we can help resolve the matter. There are no issues with the servers and your account uses one specific server not multiple.

3. I have multiple accounts. I realize each one uses only a single e-mail server. What I was referring to is that there seems to be an e-mail server outtage every few days. I base that on entries in the "Outages and Maintenace" forum. The particular e-mail server that one of my accounts is on went outtwice in a three day period. This is straight from the forum:

SM06 Pop3 is currently unavailable10/22/2208 11:07 AM
    SM02 is currently unavailable 10/21/2008 2:47 PM
    sm03 experiencing disruption 10/21/2008 6:01 AM
    SM02 10/20/2008 10:44 AM
    SM04 10/16/2008 10:01 AM
    SM03 Experienced webmail disruptions 10/12/2008 11:54 PM

I'm just curious why the e-mail servers seem to go down so often. Maybe that's not often for SmarterMail - I'm comparing to Exchange server installations I work with thatgo down twice a year at most - just seems like a lot. If that's just a SmarterMail thing and is normal, then nevermind.

4. mjp

mjp

We're working closely with SmarterTools to get a handle on the issue.They sent usa new build of SmarterMail as recently as yesterday, so they are aware of the problem and we're staying on top of them to get it resolved. Most of these are memory issues, they don't affect sending or delivery of mail, they merely delay it. I understand delays are no good either, just want to make sure you understand the issue doesn't affect the actualflow of messages.

So we're on it, we're making sure SmarterTools stays on it, and we're trying that new build (which is supposed to significantly reduce memory use) on one of the servers now. If we see good results we'll update the rest of the mail servers.

5. Any news on this update? I am trying to sync Mozilla Lightning calendar through the funambol syncML client, which does not work. (addresses do work)

Smartermail mentions that this feature is added/fixed in v. 5.5.3216

6. mjp

mjp

7. Looks like mail service is out again. Guess the new version craps out too.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.