Who is responsible for Firewall? Viruses?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by PJ2010, Dec 24, 2010.

1. This is not really any issue I have, so feel free to ignore, but I can see how somebody who uses DASP to host a mass mailing site and/or politically incorrect website that gets a lot of DOS and other kinds of attacks (like outsiders trying to infect the politically incorrect website with viruses) might be a problem for DASP as well as for the DASP customer. I assume DASP has some sort of firewall for their hosted servers? And some sort (?) of quick and dirty virus protection?

But then in the marketplace link in the Control Panel I notice McAffee is offering DASP customers their McAfee Secure™ trustmark service. I surmise this must be an "additional" level of protection above and beyond whatever DASP provides, so that DASP customers can put the McAfee Secure™ service mark on their website.

Any comments appreciated. Since right now I'm not using my website for any heavy duty commercial uses like direct marketing, it's not an issue for me, just curious.

Happy holidays and New Year,

PJ2010

Want to increase the level of trust of your web site? With McAfee Secure Service you can get your site scanned daily and get the McAfee Secure™ trustmark on your site. DiscountASP.NET customers can get the service for $99/year

2. Someone should be able to answer that for you soon.

Καλά Χριστούγεννα :)

3. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We understand with the wikileaks story in the headlines, web hosting services are under a lot of attention these days and that customers may have some concerns.

There are many different kinds of abuse that can happen in a hosting environment and we do all the standard stuff hosts should be doing and we do more on top of that.

We have firewalls and we keep up to date on security patches and service packs. But we also have a Tippingpoint Intrusion Prevention System and we also subscribe to a DDOS mitigation service. There have been some dos attacks in the past years but our customers have not noticed because our systems have been protected.

As for mass mailing, we have things in place help stop/detect this type of activity. We do have email virus scanning.

I can't say that we are 100% safe from something happening - no host can. But we try to do everything we can to provide a flexible hosting platform yet one that is secure and reliable. And we continue to invest in improving our hosting infrastructure as well.

The McAfee service in the control panel marketplace is for the McAfee secure trustmark for customer web sites. This is not an additional level of protection - it is more of a certification from a trusted third party to put a seal of approval on your web site. To get the trustmark, your site needs to be scanned and pass McAfee's criteria. Our own web site has a McAfee trustmark. Our customers can also get this as well. The trustmark provides your web site users with more confidence to do business with you. You can find out more in the marketplace.

4. mjp

mjp

Just to add one thing to what Eric said, the Tipping Point and DDoS mitigation services are not cheap, and you will find very few shared hosts at our price level who provide that kind of protection (I have not been able to find any hosts that provide both). So we do take security and stability very seriously.