Why can't find my web page through search engine

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by yong, Aug 4, 2003.

1. i had been post my web page to the server.
    I can browse my web page using a url,
    but i can't find my page through search engine,Y?

Anybody can give me a commen?

Thanks

2. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but if you mean you are doing a search using a search engine like google or msn, and your site isn't coming up - have you submitted your site to different search engines? Are you using meta tags appropriately? Do you have a robot.txt file in your root?

While most engines spider the web, there are far too many sites out there for them to capture them all. There are many ways to get listed, or more appropriately combinations of ways. If you have a web site showing off dogs, the odds of your site getting hit when you enter the search word "dog" is probably close to the same odds as getting struck by lightning. If you have a web site on the mating instinct of the bright green salamander, and someone puts in "mating instinct bright green salamander", the chances are much much better.

Hope this helps - if you don't know about meta tags and search engine submissions, you have a lot of research to do! [:)]

Regards,

WM

Experience the Poconos - http://www.poconocommuter.com

3. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

When you launch a website, you are not automatically placed in search engines. Remember, there are a lot of sites coming online everyday - so search engines will not know about you unless you tell them that your site exists.

Some tips on Search Engine Marketing:
    1. Before submitting, make sure your site has good relevant content using HTML text and a lot of relevant keywords to our industry.
    2. Before submitting, make sure you are using relevant keywords in Titles, Meta Tags, Image alt tags, and link names on your site.
    3. When your site is ready, then submit your URL to search engines. You can do this by
    (a) visiting each search engine and use their Add Link, Add URL, Submit Site, interface. Note, that many search engines are starting to charge to be listed or will review the site and add the url more rapidly if you pay. Doing free type submissions may take a few months to get reviewed.
    (b) Pay a Search engine submission service to submit your site for you
    (c) Pay a Search Engine Marketing company to submit your site for you and help you optimize your site.
    4. When you do major updates to your site or add new relevant content, it is best to resubmit your site.

There are also many resources online to help you with Search Engine Marketing.

4. I was pointed in this direction (http://www.selfpromotion.com)

It provides excellen pointer on how best to get setup, requires a nominal subscription fee but the advice is definitely worth it

cheers
    Tim