XML file and permissions

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by vvsharma, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Yes,store your XML files in the App_Data directory because the contents of the folder will not be returned in response to direct HTTP requests.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. This is probably basic, but it's my first serious app on DASP, and I want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I get too far. I'm putting together an app that will use an XML file for some data, in a sort of poor man's DB. I could use SQL server for it, but that may be overkill for the scale of the app.

What I want to know is, how do I set up DASP so that my web application is available anonymously, and when it is used the application can read the XML file, but users are prevented from downloading it directly by URL? I have several ways I could do this with my own equipment, but obviously there's some constraints in play on DASP. :)

Thanks,

Cyclometh

3. I found this FAQ and a related thread:

http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10054

That seems to indicate that if I place my XML files there it'll work as I desire. The permissions manager shows that the anonymous user does have read access to the _database directory, however. Can this be confirmed as a known item, and that the directory will in fact work as described?

Thanks,

Cyc