Yay, I've published my first .ASP site!

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by BBWells, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Hey gang,
    Just a note of thanks for the help in the last few weeks. I was able to get my first site up and just in time as the Girls Barrel Racing started today.

I think I'm gonna cry cause this is my very first .ASP/.NET SQL site. :D
    Couldn't have done this alone...

The data you will see isn't up to date, it's test data, but I'll be migrating from the "other host" since I can now attach my own .mdf and not have to wait 1-3 days for someone to respond to a support ticket.

Check it out and rip it up, all critics welcome.
    Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo - "The Daddy of 'Em All!" www.cfdresults1.com

Thanks again,
    Brian

2. ...It's rockin bro, good job. ;-)
    Salute,
    Mark

3. Clean and very fast!

Congrats!

4. Thanks to all for the support

Thanks for the kind words. But, the credit goes to the help I received.
    Much appreciated. Looking forward to pushing my skills on the next one, knowing that I've found a supportive community of really smart peeps!
    :eek:

-Brian

5. Dear BBWells,

Few time ago, you posted a thread as below http://community.discountasp.net/showthread.php?t=8218

At that time your website cfdresults.com is hosted at networksolution.com. This new website cfdresults1.com is hosted with discountasp.net. Can you please give me your feeling about both the hosting providers? I am also looking for a good hosting company. I am considering networksolution.com, godaddy.com and recently found this discountasp.net.

I will be very thankfull for your valued and honest comperision.

6. Dear yourmna,
    I apologize for the late reply, busy project at the office this week.

As for a comparison I would say the following.

If your site is going to be data driven using .ASP, .NET and/or SQL, I would definitely recommend DiscountASP.NET (DASP) - Highly!

The other major web hosts do not offer you the control over the server like DASP does. I can tell you first hand at Network Solutions you will have to submit a support ticket for any type of data admin function you want to perform. The ticket is escalated to the Tier 2 server engineers and the response time is 1 - 3 days. They did get back to me usually within 12 - 24 hours, but even that is too slow with a site such as mine that is displaying daily results for an ongoing event.

Also, as far as I know, most of the folks here as DASP specialize in data driven, Web 2.0 web technologies so you will get the support and answers you need on the more complex, dynamic sites (not static).

I do think that the DASP control panel, FAQ's and General Help are not quite as user friendly, or extensive as some of the other "bigger" hosting companies. The control panel at DASP is powerful, but not quite as feature rich or intuitive as some of the others. There is no File Manager, although you can install your own web apps on your site if you know how.

Please understand I am not saying there is not helpful info here, because there is. WiseMX has some excellent training videos, and the info here is good and tells you how to do most of the setup you need. It's just not as extensive or as easy to find or use. I guess you can say I'm pretty technical or comfortable figuring things out since I've been a web guy for a while now, over 12 years, (a designer, not a "developer" like the gurus here:D ). So I was able to get my site up and working within 24 hours after signing up.

But,
    1. If you are a noob, and
    2. Do NOT need dynamic hosting
    you probably do not need DASP.

Network Solutions hosts over 1M sites, so they have a serious support staff and lot's of experience. There tools are easy to use, reliable, with well written instruction; and lot's of it. I have hosted at 4 or 5 other hosting companies in addition to Network Solutions, and I would say I liked some of the other a little better than Network Solutions. For static sites I'd give Network Solutions a 7 out of 10. My preference for static at this time is HostGator. (No offense to DASP guys :cool: )

As for GoDaddy, IMHO I would stay away from their hosting. I have registered most of my Domains there, but I DO NOT use their hosting. I've had friends that had bad experiences, and the majority of the reviews on the web regarding their hosting are negative.

All of the above comments are referring to MS web servers, web apps and MS SQL. There are some other open source technologies that don't have the MS learning curve perhaps, such as PHP and MySQL. They have can have an easy to moderate learning curve along with robust admin tools. Most of the major hosting providers support these technologies. DASP no longer supports MySQL as it is not their core competence or business focus.

So that is my honest opinion. :)

In conclusion, determine your what your site needs and requirements are. Once you know that, if you don't already, than you can make an informed decision.

Kind Regards,
    BBWells

7. ...I'm standing there right next to ya...High five bro. ;-)

8. Thanks Oh Wise One ;-)