ABCPDF.NET

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by quirtep, Jun 5, 2008.

1. I know that ABCPDF.NET is listed as an unsupported component for IIS7. If we were to purchase our own license of the ABCPDF.NET 6 and deploy it with our project as dlls in the bin folder, is there any reason it won't work? I mean, is it that the newest version of ABCPDF.NET is not compatible with IIS7, or just that it's not offered on the Windows 2008 servers?

Thank you.

2. I think you need to run the application in classic mode for it to work, at least for the version that we have, which is why it is not supported on the IIS7 machines. Version 6 could be different. I recommend using the trial version to test. If it is a fully managed assembly and does not require installation on the server, then you can just deploy it in the bin.

3. Running in classic mode didn't seem to make a difference just now when I tested on my local machine.

Regardless, I found a workaround - and everything else seems to be running fine (and fast) since the migration.

Thanks for the reply.

4. mjp

mjp

What's the work-around?

5. For me it was just a single report I needed, so I just left that piece on a different server.

6. discountasp.net tech support suggested i look at abcpdf for converting html files to pdf on the server. I have since found out that discountasp.net wont allow this program to run as it uses MSHTML.dll

abcpdf looks perfect for my needs, does anyone know how i can get this to work on the
    discountasp server ?

aristotlesaid:'If it is a fully managed assembly and does not require installation on the server, then you can just deploy it in the bin.'

Thats what i did, but it still didnt work, access denied exception

Thanks

Chris Anderson

7. Bruce,

Both companies components i have tried confirm yes, html - pdf

Why is it not supported ? - this is a show stopper for me, i am having to rethink a way around it and my site was supposed to go live today!

Also, i dont want to run into any further 'not supported for security reasons' situations. Is there some documentation on this, listing what i cant do ?

Regards

Chris

8. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

are you trying to use the html-> pdf feature? that is not supported.

9. Bruce

The main reason is that ABCPDF (or most HTML -> PDF component) uses the IE binary to render the HTML page. There are a few problems

1) IE is known to have a lot of security hole and since Windows 2003, MSFT has changed the default security policy to disallow browsing through IE on the server.

2) These components sometimes spins up an IE process on the server which is very bad!

10. Bruce

>The main reason is that ABCPDF (or most HTML -> PDF component) uses the IE binary to render the HTML page. There are a few problems

Its a shameall yoursupport staff didnt know this before i wasrecommended by one of them to look at abcpdf

Can you answer the second part of my question please.

Thanks

Chris

11. Bruce

we really don't have a compiled list of things you can't do on the server because it is never going to be exhaustive.