Change my domain name

Discussion in 'Domain names / DNS' started by I Made Suryawan, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Hi There,

I need to change my domain name from olddomain.com to newdomain.com. In the end of this process, the newdomain.com will be the primary domain, but when people try to access olddomain.com they will be redirected to newdomain.com.

I have read few articles in this forum and knowledge base on how to do this, but I need to confirm before doing it.

So basically what I need is:
    a. Change the domain name servers of new domain to DASP:

* NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
    * NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
    * NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET (optional)

b. Send support ticket to change primary domain from olddomain.com to newdomain.com.

c. Create a domain pointer to redirect olddomain.com to newdomain.com.

Would you kindly confirm if this is correct? And also, what is the expected downtime while during the transition?

Also, the olddomain.com is associated with few email addresses. We will no longer need it, because we will use a new email addresses with newdomain.com. However, I was wondering: what will happen with the old email addresses? Will user still can access it? They might need to access this for a while during transition.

Your confirmation and assistance is highly appreciated. Thank you.

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Yes, it is correct.

Expect at least 1 hour of downtime for DNS propagation. Full propagation may take up to 72 hours.

They will automatically be migrated to the new domain and be ready for use.

mjp likes this.
  3. I am in the same situation except that I have a sql database. Will that automatically transfer to the new domain?

4. mjp

mjp

The database isn't tied to the domain, so it will be unaffected.

RayH likes this.