connecting to Access database using DNS

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Michael W, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I am trying to connect to a database i created in access. I am using Dreamweaver CS3 FTP to connect to discountasp .
    I have named the:
    DNS healthyeate_connect
    Path \_database\customerDetails.mdb
    When in dreamwaever and I am trying to make a connection using the DSN connecting box i input the DNS - healthyeate_connect, then i click on the DNS button to select the ODBC but the list is blank.
    What am i doing wrong or what am i meant to do?
    I have uploading the database to the correct folder and my document type is ASP VB script.

2. Hi,
    I used Macromedia Studio for years for Access, SQL Server and ASP, loved it.</o:p>
    Haven't used the newer CS3 but I'm guessing the methods are the same.</o:p>
    </o:p>
    Let me ask a few questions...</o:p>
    Are you on IIS6 or IIS7 here?</o:p>
    Does this need to be with a DSN? Will aDSN-less connectionwork for you?
    I always found them much easier to work with.</o:p>
    btw, did you create the DSN in your Control Panel and on your local machine?</o:p>
    If so, do you have any files that Dreamweaver created? typically they are named such as conn.*</o:p>
    I'll do my best to get you up and running.
    Salute,
    Mark</o:p>

3. Am on ASP.NET 3.5 hosting
    Sorry for lack of info, am a real noob when it comes to database connection but i do know about it and have SQL knowledge. I hope i don?t become a nuisance here lol.
    *Right, i believe am on the IIS7. (but no option for me in control panel regarding IIS)
    * The connection does not have to be in DNS as long as i can connect and interact with the database. There is option on the CS3 for DNS less connection so am sure it works for me.
    *I did create the DNS in the control panel on discount ASP.net

DNS healthyeate_connect
    Path \_database\customerDetails.mdb</o:p>
    But not on the local host machine. (why on local host)</o:p>
    *i have connecting to the root of my site and all other folders (remote file) on the hosting site.</o:p>

4. Hi,
    In your Control Panel it will show, under the Info section, if you are on Windows Server 2003 or 2008.
    If it shows 2008 you are under IIS7.

The reason I asked is apparently some of the Access DB methods are not available on IIS7.
    I haven't had time to test Access on IIS7 yet but this DNS-less method should work:
    http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10476

btw, The reason I asked if you had created a local DSN is the way Dreamweaver allows testing.
    It has a very nice feature where you can have your data servers, local and remote connecitons, etc.
    Can alsowritehundreds of lines of code for you once you create those connfiles.
    Salute,
    Mark

5. ok, thanks for that. i checked and it is:

Windows 2003 - IIS 6.0

no local DNS was made.

6. I never had any problems running ASP and Access code on the 2003 servers here.
    You should be all set once you learn more about the IDE you are using.
    Actually I really miss the site sync features in Dreamweaver.
    It's my active wish that Visual Studio someday will have similar features. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

7. here can can i to learn a step to step on how to connect [​IMG] .

or can u talk me through it if u have time.

Michael

8. I'll install my Macromedia Studio 2004 MX on the system I use for my kids.
    Will be later today if they, my three kids, give me some time. [​IMG]
    Then I'll be able to give you step-by-steps.

Macromedia used to have good instructions on thier site.
    Since the Adobe buyout I didn't access their site anymore but you may want to take a look.
    There should be some good stuff there for your product and Access connections.
    Salute,
    Mark

9. UPDATE...

What I decided to do is create an example site for you using Dreamweaver and an Access DB named the same as yours.
    I've also used the same folder location for it, "_database" .

In Dreamweaver the best thing for your account here will be to have two connection strings.
    One for local testing and development, the other for the live site.
    From the Dynamic section of the toolbar you can connect to any connection strings you place in the /connections/ folder.

For the example site attached I've created one for your local testing and one for the remote site.
    (Listed below)

The conn string for local testing uses a physical location for the database. (Local drive)
    Forthe live,remote, site I'm using the Server.MapPath method. (Very handy)

Local: (/Connections/conn.asp)

Attached Files:

10. thanks alot wisemx

i will have a look at this and a go at it monday. am on my way to work in a few hours.

fingers crossed. have a good day. [​IMG]

Michael

11. wooops wrong post icon lol,

Michael

12. Thanks to this tread I am now connected to DSP VIA Dreamweaver remote. Custom connection string I used:

"DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" &amp; Server.MapPath("/_database/educoncert.mdb")

I feel my headache going away.[​IMG]