Disabling FrontPage Extentions

Discussion in 'FrontPage' started by wisemx, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Good chat. [​IMG]
    Yes a lot of developers keep asking DASP to provide Dedicated servers.
    From my own experience I still think for many developers it would cost less to host your own.
    Won't name the hosts I used for Dedicated servers but none of them panned out for the money that was invested.
    I know for my own talents, for fact, that I could host my own Dedicated servers for less than half those costs.

Some of the large communities I hosted with DASP ran better than my Dedicated communities, go figure. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark Wisecarver
    aka wisemx

2. I did the math as they told me to put it where I wanted. Their extra bandwidth cost alone was about the cost of dedicated server, not counting extra disk space. Then add in the other sites, and the numbers just don't pan out. So here we go again with a new learning curve. Past life was win2K server but a very closed network for process control. Now thanks to a rogue webmaster I get to learn new things [​IMG] So I am learning to spell windows 2003 and plesk and all kinds of things like that LOL.

You are correct about the cost. Some of them are just unbelievable. Others have okay prices but their customer service was such a joke that it was just too frustrating to even talk with them.

3. In my past life I was desktop and process control. Web apps has been a learning curve.

Here is the background. I am taking care of several sites, one of them has frontpage extentions enabled. Site written in .Net2.0 VS2005. Being upgraded to .NET3.5 VS2008. I understand that 3.5 sits on 2.0 but there are some other changes being done to help with higher traffic. Also using aspnet membership, roles and profile.

Here is my question. I want to disable frontpage extentions. Pretty much wipe the site except for a couple directiories that hold like 15,000 photos. And upload new. What effects will disabling front page extentions have for me? I do not use any of their bots all my stuff is hard coded on the page or in the code behind. Also looking at compiling the site because of traffic and this should give me a quicker site.

My biggest concern is losing the photos. The client might be a bit ticked off if he needed to upload them again. I have thought about transfering them to another site through code.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Going back to your FrontPage question. This is what I recommend you do,

1) Goto the control panel. Uninstall FrontPage extension

2) Open a support ticket and have support reset permission from site root down.

Unlike FrontPage client, VS.NET do not use any of the FP bot crap, VS.NET simply uses FPSE as an uploading mechanism.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Bruce

Thanks for the reply. What exactly will they be resetting? I have 1 directory that is write enabled, and the others are accessed through roles and membershipuser. Is this something that I can do through the file manager (I think that is where I made that one directory write enabled).

Jerry

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

NTFS permission. The dreaded FrontPage extension messes up the NTFS permission very badly in general. The reseting is just for precaution.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Bruce

Thanks I will do that, it will be a couple days before I am ready. I will also tell support which directory I need write enabled.

Jerry

8. Hi,
    I like the ring to that, "in my past life". [​IMG]
    Never liked Front Page extensions but in the past I was forced to use them.

At any rate, you shouldn't have any trouble removing FPE.
    As for the images, all you should loose are the vti files, not the actual image files, which is good.
    One of the things I hated the most about FPE was how much of a mess it made a site. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

9. Mark

Thanks for the reply. I was dreading the task oftransfering all the photos from this site and split them up between a couple other sites. Getting a dedicated server up and running for a couple of their other sites. So a future project will be to figure out the best way to back-up these photos. I would be in a world of hurt if something happened to them. I am figuring site to server is going to be a lot faster than site to my house PC.

Wish DASP had dedicated servers as I would love to keep all my business here.

Again thanks Mark.