Does anyone know how to use a .flv file in a web page so that it plays like a video

Discussion in 'Flash/Shockwave' started by wisemx, Mar 10, 2007.

1. If you want me to create the code for you ZIP or RAR the files and send them to [email protected]

Let me know what coding language you want it in, i.e. HTML, xHTML, ASP, ASP.NET

I've been doing Flash animation for 8 years now and have several IDEs for coding these formats.

Please note that I'm only willing to help if the video is not offensive, i.e. no vulgarity, no nudity, etc.
    Salute,
    Mark Wisecarver aka wisemx

2. Hi Mark;
    Thanks for your reply. I run a community based website at http://www.minonktalk.com and I have set up a video page for submitting interesting video clips from the community so it definitely is family oriented stuff. My video web page is at http://www.minonktalk.com/videos.aspx. So far I have been putting out .wmv files because they are the smallest. I want to be able to do flash file conversion and coding myself rather than sending each file to a third party for converting to a flash file. Are you offering to give me code I can put in my webpage or are you offering to do the conversion of each file? I prefer the first option as I don't want to be dependent on someone else for keeping this page updated.
    Dave

3. Using Adobe Premiere Elements I created an Adobe flash file with the *.flv extension. However, the server does not recognize this as a valid video file and tries to open it or save it. Does anyone know how to use a .flv file in a web page so that it plays like a video. Also. how is this different from an .swf file?

Post Edited By Moderator (Joel Thoms) : 3/13/2007 9:34:20 PM GMT

4. That article shows how to import .flv files using Flash 8 or Dreamweaver but I am using Premiere Elements which does not go into any detail on how import .flv files into a webpage. All I want is the html code needed to support these files.

5. If you have the ca$h all you need is Camtasia Studio.

I use it, so does Microsoft, highly recommended if you can afford it.

6. Actually, I have Camtasia and tried using it to create an swf file and it created a huge file, much bigger than the wmv file. It seems like every software has its own codec for creating flash files, some better than others. I have version 3.0. If there is a later version perhaps I should try that.

7. Just received the March 15 Camtasia Studio News, issue 23, has this tip in it:
    Coaching Series: SWF vs. FLV - What Format Should I Use?
    Flash choices

Let us help you with the commonly-asked question ... "When I'm producing a Flash file, which format should I use?"

The most important issue to consider is the content of your video. Use the tips below to help you select between SWF and FLV when producing to Flash.

SWF, or Shockwave Flash

? Good for low-motion screen capture content (like PowerPoints, Web demos, and software demos)
    ? Good for shorter videos

Tip: Try the 'Use JPEG compression' option while producing. This will always give you a SWF file that is at least as small as if you leave it unchecked. Depending on the content, checking this option can make it significantly smaller! Use the quality slider to fine-tune the quality vs. file size tradeoff.

[​IMG]

Go to Custom Production Settings > Choose Flash (SWF/FLV) Adobe Flash output > Select Flash Options button > Ensure that 'Use JPEG compression' is checked.

FLV, or Flash Video

? Good for full-motion video, camera video, or screen capture with lots of motion (like Picture-in-Picture or movie trailers)
    ? Good for longer videos

Tip: Select VP6 as the Video Codec. This will give you improved quality in your video.

[​IMG]

Go to Custom Production Settings > Choose Flash (SWF/FLV) Adobe Flash output > Select Flash Options button > Select FLV. Change Target Flash Version to 8. Under Video Codec, select VP6.