embedding video on web page

Discussion in 'Flash/Shockwave' started by jencurranco, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm looking for help in how to get a video to play embedded in the web page. I've figured out how to get windows media player to launch, and on my PC plays the video just fine. When I published it all, now the video doesn't play. I'm using MS Expressions (old version).

Website I'm working on is
    http://www.jencurran.com/demos.htm

The actual video file is ".VOB"

My code is as follows:

<object type="video/x-ms-wmv" data="video/VIDEO_TS.VOB" width="720" height="585">
    <param name="src" value="video/VIDEO_TS.VOB" />
    <param name="autostart" value="true" />
    <param name="controller" value="true" />
    </object>

The goal is to display video demo for an aspiring actress. The files are really big.

Other suggestions welcome.
    Thank you!
    Jennifer

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i think the problem is w/ the video file itself. I downloaded the file and it won't even play locally (using 2 different players).

I think you'll have more success if you switch the form to wmv.

3. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

I'm not sure if you can embed a .vob file to specifically display with Windows Media Player as I'm not sure how the browser would handle the embedded file but you may want to consider a more web-friendly format as .vob is usually used for DVD format.

You may want to consider using either of the following:

• Flash video (.flv)
    • Windows media (.wmv)
    There will be some loss but the video displayed should still retain enough quality and you'll be able to embed either format without issue, save disk space and also bandwidth.

I don't know if there are any video manipulation utilities that would allow a direct .vob to .flv/.wmv conversion but I'm fairly sure that someone would have published an application that can handle the conversion.

4. Thank you Joseph & Bruce, I'll see if I can get it into another format. Bruce, I was able to get the version on my PC to work perfectly with the code I sent originally. I'm wondering if the upload process...publishing process...could have changed the files in some way.

Thanks again.
    Jennifer

5. Hi,
    What are you creating the videos with?
    More than likely you have codecs on your system for your local players.
    If you want me to generate some script for an ASP.NET page playing WMV files let me know. All I'll need is the video dimensions, then I can post the code for you in the forums or Email it to you.
    All the best,
    Mark
    PS These are examples of WMV, Flash and Silverlight files of mine running in ASP.NET pages: http://iis7test.com/webcasts/

6. Hi Mark, I think part of my problem is that these are coming from a MAC user and I'm not. He just pointed me to the video in a different format, ".mov".

I'm having trouble even getting my PC to play them...much less figuring out how to embed them in a web page.

I think I need to learn a lot more about this. I'm not super thrilled with putting something out there that people have to load a lot of stuff on their PC to view. Seems to defeat the purpose.

My goal is to embed the file so it can be viewed in a webpage with as little hassle for the viewer as possible.

The good news is these files are much smaller!
    Jennifer

7. Hi Jennifer,
    If I can help let me know.
    All the best,
    Mark "wisemx" Wisecarver

8. HD streaming on website

Hello the solution will be much easier than you think. I am already broadcasting on a website pre-recorded videos. I am using a broadcasting software and a dvd player connected to the computer's tv capture card.
    I have a webplayer on the website and I am playing that video from the dvd player directly to the website very smooth (HD video quality).
    I can show you some demos if you are interested.

9. @cata

what software are you using? I am looking at streaming some video from my computer, but everything I have looked at streams the video at less than par quality. Can you show me some examples?

10. @dabombba

Hello, I am using blinkotv to do the streaming. This will be good for you especially if you are looking for video quality. I am streaming pre-recorded and now some LIVE HD shows and my users don't need to install additional software to see them. Last option is really great because it's all live and with the best video quality. This is my users want to see.

11. mjp

mjp

Yes, we know. But you work for (or with) them as well, right? You seem to post about them in a lot of forums.

I don't want people to think you are just some random user who happened to find a really cool service, when in fact you have a stake in that service. You list your home page as eyepartner.com, which is on the same servers as blinkotv.com, and dozens of other content services. There's nothing wrong with being an ambitious developer or whatever you are, but be up front about promoting your own services.

12. Hi all,
    Quickly becoming the very best video streaming on the Internet is Silverlight.
    Even companies who frown on Microsoft technologies are finding that to be true.
    i.e. The previous Olympics, NBA Sports, etc.

You can easily create streaming video with Expression Studio.

If anyone wants help with any of those services let me know. ;-)
    Salute,
    Mark

13. @Cata,

Im looking to do something for my church. We have a lot of people who cannot make it to mass every week for one reason or another. Do you guys white label solutions for other companies?

14. @Dabombba

Hello:
    Yes you can have a white label solution so you can advertise your church on the community. The Flash player which you embed on your website can be customized also depending on your project's profile. I can show you some demos if you are interested.

15. Hello WiseMx,

I looked at your site http://iis7test.com/webcasts/ and would like to know if you could post the aspnet code that displays one of the videos? I've uploaded videos and they play very slow, so I must be using the wrong code or doing something wrong.

Also, this is my first time adding videos to a website. I've used VS 2008, C#, Ajax, etc. for a long time. One other question...is software like Silverlight needed to convert video files to streaming before they work properly?

Thank You for any help you can provide!

16. Hi,
    I'll post any examples you need.
    What video format are you using?

To create Silverlight videos I first record the screen with Camtasia Studio.
    The format I use when saving the screen captures is MP4.
    Then I take that to Expression Encoder and create/encode Silverlight versions.
    Requires a good machine and that encoding typically takes a few hours.

Let me know what you need and I'll post it.
    All the best,
    Mark