General Performance Troubleshooting Tips

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by rlcraven, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Hello,

I have received a few complaints from customers concerning slow performance from my site. Obviously there can be several causes for this. Do you have a list of, or can you suggest steps for diagnosing this?

Thank you,
    Randy

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hello Randy,

If it was my site I would first ask the customer for instructions on how to recreate the slow performance on your site. If you can't recreate the slow performance then most likely the problem is coming from their network connection to your site.

To confirm this I would ask from your customer is to do a few network tests to your site to find out if the problem is coming from their network connection to your site. General Network Troubleshooting Tools (Ping, Traceroute)

If you're able to recreate the slow performance. The next step is to using Google Chrome's Developer tools to find what element on your site is loading slowly. You can also use the Tool from Google to help you optimize the web site's page: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/ it provides you with help on how to optimize the web site page.

3. Hi, I have random performance issues too since day one. And today my client complained again. My code is fine, the internet connections are fine but the problem looks like is coming from DASP network.
    On Chrome dev tools, sometimes we get many "net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED" errors on .js and image files.
    You know why I am pretty sure about this? that the problem is form DASP? I have the exact same website on Azure (connecting to my DB in DASP) just for manage this problem, and on Azure my site runs way too fast... the funny thing is, the azure site is running in a free -low perfomance- shared tier.

4. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

i suggest opening a support ticket. you might be running into concurrent connection issue.

Also check out our cloud product which is based on Azure system, http://www.everleap.com

mjp likes this.
  5. Thanks to each of you who have responded.

The problem appears to be sporadic as to time and place. At times the site performance is acceptable and then at other times in the same location it is not (using the same computer also). My customers are generally running the same set of pages each time. In the incident that was reported to me, they site performance was slow to the extent that they decided to quit using it for the time being.

Martino -- will the ping and tracert tools work on a Mac, or are there different commands?

Frank -- I will open a support ticket as you suggest. When you say concurrent connection issue, does that refer to all of the sites that share a server with me, or just my site? In other words, could the traffic on other sites that share my server cause my site to slow down?

Frank -- it sounds like I would get better performance from everleap. Is it possible to quantify or even guess at how much better my site would respond if it was moved to everleap? What is involved in migrating a SQL Server database to everleap?

Thanks

6. martino

To do a ping on a Mac read this web page article here: http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-on-Mac-OS

To do a traceroute on a Mac please watch this video here:

Just your site and no other traffic from other sites on the same server will not slow you down when it comes to concurrent connections.

On Everleap you're provided with a lot nice options to always add more resources to the site account if you need them. For example you can always add a power pack option to the site account. Each site account on Everleap has 300 MB RAM to the site by default. If you add a power pack to the plan you have it would be upgrade to 500 MB of RAM to the site account. Also, with the power pack you will be given more disk space for mail, SQL, My SQL. Take a look at our scaling web page article here: http://www.everleap.com/cloud-hosting/web-sites/scaling/

For migrating we can do this for you so if you're interested in moving to Everleap please contact our support department for more information.

7. Thank you again, Frank and Martino, for these replies. Working with the customer, we believe that the problem has been found in their wireless network. Frank, I have a follow up question about concurrent connections. I gather this means that there is a finite number of people who can use our site at any given time. Can you tell me how many that is?

Thanks!

8. martino

By default it set to 25 concurrent connections. However, this doesn't mean that only 25 people can connect to the site. It means that only 25 HTTP connections can be made at the same exact time.

9. FrankC

we can certainly increase that if it is necessary

10. FrankC

It depends on the application but we've seem anywhere from 30 - 60 % faster.

Try it out for free (60 day money back guarantee).

11. Thank you, Frank and Martino, for these answers. I have a couple of other questions...

Is there a any rule of thumb concerning the relationship between concurrent HTTP requests and the number of people using my site at any given time? In other words, what number of concurrent sessions or users does 25 connections equate to? Maybe with the variations between sites this isn't possible to predict. The number of users for my site is going to grow in the next few months, from about 15 now to 300+ by the end of September; so I want to be proactive in assuring that the site stays responsive. These will be sporadic, not all-the-time users.

What's the cost of increasing my concurrent connections?

And thanks, I have an inquiry in with Everleap about possibly making that switch.

12. mjp

mjp

It isn't related to users, since one page request can open multiple connections, depending on what you're doing. But the thing to remember about those connections is they are very short-lived. Usually milliseconds. Again, it depends on what you're doing.

So "concurrent connections" is a measure of how many of those millisecond connections are open at the very same time. Which means you can have hundreds of visitors on your site at the same time and never have 25 connections open at the very same time. In fact most sites never bump in to the 25 concurrent connection limitation.

But if you do need an increase there's no cost, we can increase the number on a per-site basis. That's on DiscountASP. Everleap works a little differently since those are cloud servers.

RayH likes this.
  13. Thank you very much for such a concise explanation. This helps a lot in understanding things.