How to install ASP.NET 2.0 Club / Personal Starter kit?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Bruce, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

2. I am having similiar problems like Dave V. Just wondering if somebody that has came acrosss a problem like that with the same error, has figured it out yet?[​IMG]
    I've searched and have not found an answer. I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Im also new to this. Probably going to get made fun of for asking stupid questions.
    But here we go....
    Is it because i dont have the rights to create new database. If so do I need to go into SQL server manager studio and configure so the rights are granted for me to create new database?
    What can I say Asp.net 2.0is pimp.that iswhy I'm trying to learn it.[​IMG]Thanks

3. I am on the same boat as Budha V. Since Club Starter Kit comes free and also comple
    running Application it is so easy to extend but how do you deploy it here since it comes
    is SQL Server Express 2005 and not SQL SERVER 2005.[​IMG]

4. Bruce

try put 'tcp:' (no quote) in front of the SQL server name

eg. tcp:mssql01.discountasp.net

If it still doesn't work, your ISP may be blocking port 1433. Try use port 14330 instead.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Hi,

I'm doing step 3 on how to install ASP.Net 2.0 Club starter kit. I got the error:
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Here's some facts and I'm not sure if this is related to the problem:
    In my local pc, I have sql server 2000. I checked SQL server client network utility and the TCP/IP is on top of the list in enable protocols.
    I'm connected thru the internet via my company's firewall.

Any ideas how to solve this? thanks in advance

regards,
    Al

6. Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that solution didn't work. After googling for a while, I realized I didnt have IIS installed. So after putting that on, seemed to work this time.
    Now, I will proceed with to step 4, fingers crossed.

al

7. Hey Bruce what about this one:

On step 4 I'm getting "cannot open input file - club-add.sql No such file or directory" I used your instructions successfully when setting up a prvious site, but I didn't use the club starter kit or the schema, just the membership databases. I've gotten ther the Application services Database creation fine, but it bombs ont on step 4...

8. Hi Bruce,

Looks like I'm another in the long line of people struggling to get their Starter Kits up and running!

I have followed your directions as best I can, but I get the following error when trying to access the website. I have checked and made sure that I have TCP/IP pipes enabled in the SQL Configuration manager, as suggested in an earlier reply but it was already set correctly. Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Adam

Server Error in '/adamstocV7' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source Error:

Code:
    Line 141:				Dim Filter As Boolean = Not (HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("Friends") Or HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("Administrators"))
    Line 142:				command.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@IsPublic", Filter))
    Line 143:				connection.Open()
    Line 144:				Dim list As New Generic.List(Of Album)()
    Line 145:				Using reader As SqlDataReader = command.ExecuteReader()
    Source File: C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Stockwell\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\adamstocV7\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb Line: 143

Stack Trace:

Code:
    [SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +171
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +199
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +1069
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +606
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +193
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +502
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +429
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +70
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +512
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +85
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +89
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +160
       PhotoManager.GetAlbums() in C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Stockwell\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\adamstocV7\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb:143

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +0
       System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +72
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +296
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +29
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance) +486
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1869
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.GetData() +53
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +267
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +56
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind() +62
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.EnsureDataBound() +55
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.CreateChildControls() +62
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +97
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +50
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5731

9. Bruce

Looks like it's trying to connect using Named Pipe (which only work on local LAN)

Try put 'tcp:' in front of the SQL server name in the connection string.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Bruce

You can try use our new SQL management tool's attach database feature.

Basically, you'll need to upload your club.mdf file into your site and run the attach DB.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. Hi Bruce! ( or to whom it may concern!)

Well I'm back at it again, I'm putting together a new site and I just can't seem to clear the hurdles. I've tried everything in this thread, I've got my files

migrated and used the beta too to attach the club.mdf file, all went well, ran the command line to set up the membership data, but when I go to the security

tab of the application interface it still can't make the connection to the database. I tried adding the tcp; to the DB name but to no avail... Still getting:

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    I was able to successfully launch my other site that I built on the personal website starter kit, and have the membership and roles working fine, but this club site
    is giving me some fits...
    Thanks!
    Dennis

12. Bruce

Same problem as the previous post.

Try put 'tcp:' in front of the SQL server name in the connection string.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

13. Bruce;

Yeah, saw that and tried it, didn't work, it saw the "tcp:" and errored out, I can't remember the exact syntax, but something to the effect of "I don't know what "tcp:" is" ( unknown server?) I'm thinking it's still looking local, and not out to the remote server, even thought I updated my config file as per the instructions on updating the connection strings. I rechecked them, but when I open the ASP.NET configuration manager it still says starting on localhost at the bottom of the screen

14. Bruce

Well.. your application will always be running on your localhost but if you set the connection string to point to our server, any update should happen on the database on the hosted server.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

15. That's what I thought, but at that point I wasn't wanting to make any assumptions, I was stuck... figured out though, rookie mistake, somehow or another my connection string had

"sql2k501.discountasp.net.discountasp.net" as the data source in both strings, and I just didn't see the error until I started to send you my code.... Good reason to always send a code example with the problem, saves everyone's time! Right? LOL

16. OK, now what the heck is this all about?:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS

and the error page traps this from the web config:

Line 55: <system.web>
    Line 56: <!--<roleManager enabled="false"/>-->
    Line 57: <authentication mode="Forms"/>
    Line 58: <compilation debug="true" strict="true">
    Line 59: <assemblies>

along with the same error references to lines 65 and 66 from the web config, which are:

<membership defaultProvider="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"/>

<siteMap defaultProvider="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">

I didn't turn anything up on a search for that string, anything jump out at anyone?

17. Bruce

this error means that the directory where the kit is located is not setup as a web application. Goto the control panel's web app manager to mark the directory as an application.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

18. Hi Guys

I'm unsure about number 3!

3) Create the Application Services Database on the our SQL

a) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    b) execute this aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]

Do I need to buy/set something up on discountasp.net to get the Db Servername, login password and Database name?

19. Bruce

yes. you will need either the SQL or SQL 2005 addon.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

20. Hi im installing Personal Website Starter Kit on sqlserver 2000
    Have found this article http://www.edream.org/BlogArticle.aspx?RecordID=115very usefull in config of the remote sqlserver.

All i think would be working, but just need the admin user configured now.

I dont have admin permission on this sp so ithink this is the reason its failing.- see below
    Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion'

Is there a work around please ?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

21. This error was because i missed a step. I had not told asp.net where to run the membership from. (my lack of knowledge in this area)

Step5 - Preconfigured SQL Server Providers

Run aspnet_regsql.exe from this location
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<versionNumber>\aspnet_regsql.exe

Enter your remote sql server address, user name, password and database name as prompt.

Again if your installing the personal starter it on a non SQL2005 datasource this link is really helpful:

http://www.edream.org/BlogArticle.aspx?RecordID=115

22. Bruce, these directions worked perfectly for the ClubSK! Only problem I had with the setup was osql threw an error when I tried the command from the Framework/v2.xxxx directory (couldn't find add-club.sql) -- had to search for that file, change to that directory, and run the command. Then worked like a charm.

However, I'm having a (weird?) problem, that hopefully someone canhelp me out with. I was able to change my site's loginaccount to be in the Adminstrators role. But when I log into the site, I'm not seeing the Admin section menu. To confirm that I'm actually an "Administrators", I checked the dbase, and sure enough, my UserID is listed next to the RoleID for Administrators in the aspnet_UsersInRoles table.

Is this weird? Did I fubar something?
    Thanks!

23. Bruce

24. Hi, well after following numerous links i've suprised myself to get this far!
    The advice has been thorough and explicit, which for a newbie like me is critical. But i'm now stuck at point 6 of Bruces' initial post (12/9/2005 6:07 PM (GMT -8) at the top of this thread.

Here's where i'm at...

I'm editing the web.config file as prompted:

I have replaced this line..
    <!--<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>!-->

with this..
    <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=<dbserver.com> ;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog="parkdb";User ID="*****";Password="*****" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Hitting CTRL+F5 to build causes 17 errors in Visual Web Developer rererring to the above new line added.
    Descriptions follow..

Error1Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52128D:\...\ThePark\
    Error2Missing quotes on attribute value 'Data Source=.\SQLB7.webcontrolcenter.com ;Integrated Security=false;Initial'.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52118D:\...\ThePark\
    Error3Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52119D:\...\ThePark\
    Error4Character ';', hexidecimal value 0x3b is illegal in an XML name.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52135D:\...\ThePark\
    Error5Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52136D:\...\ThePark\
    Error6Missing attribute value on attribute 'User'.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52136D:\...\ThePark\
    Error7Character ';', hexidecimal value 0x3b is illegal in an XML name.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52152D:\...\ThePark\
    Error8Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config52153D:\...\ThePark\
    Error9Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54131D:\...\ThePark\
    Error10Missing quotes on attribute value 'Data Source=.\SQLB7.webcontrolcenter.com;Integrated Security=false;Initial'.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54121D:\...\ThePark\
    Error11Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54122D:\...\ThePark\
    Error12Character ';', hexidecimal value 0x3b is illegal in an XML name.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54138D:\...\ThePark\
    Error13Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54139D:\...\ThePark\
    Error14Missing attribute value on attribute 'User'.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54139D:\...\ThePark\
    Error15Character ';', hexidecimal value 0x3b is illegal in an XML name.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54155D:\...\ThePark\
    Error16Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54156D:\...\ThePark\
    Error17Missing required whitespace.D:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ThePark\web.config54174D:\...\ThePark\

Does anyone have any ideas on how I canresolve these?

Thanks, Paul

25. Hi,

Yes, I have the appropriate sql server name.
    I've since resolved my errors and i've setup an administrators account using ASP.NET Configuration successfully.

Only now when I CTRL+F5 to build and run I have a new problem..

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Do i need to start looking server side or client side to solve this?

Thanks, Paul.

26. Wondering whether you have replaced (<dbserver.com> ) with an appropriate SQL Server Name(something like "Data Source=sql2k502.discountasp.net" )in your connection string.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

27. Bruce

this is usually a problem with the connection string (where you configured the tool to use trusted connection rather than SQL authentication)

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

28. I tried making a personal web starter kit, and followed your instructions, and received the following message, I thought Id put it here and see if anyone can help

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Code:
    Line 191:
    Line 192:	Public Shared Function GetRandomAlbumID() As Integer
    Line 193:		Using connection As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("Personal").ConnectionString)
    Line 194:			Using command As New SqlCommand("GetNonEmptyAlbums", connection)
    Line 195:				command.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    Source File: C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\personaltest\App_Code\PhotoManager.vb Line: 193

29. Thanks I fixed it. Thanks!

What I did:

In the web. config
    I deleted this, oops: <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=sql2k505.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_310941_2006;User ID=SQL2005_310941_2006_user;Password=xxxxxxxxxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

and just left this: <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=sql2k505.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_310941_2006;User ID=SQL2005_310941_2006_user;Password=xxxxxxxxxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

and in the PhotoManager.vb and other files theconnection string referred to what was called name="Personal" connectionString=" in the webconfig file

I am so happy it worked http://www.budgetwebdesign.com.au/exampleAspx

30. Bruce

make sure you check the web.config file to see if set up the connection string properly.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET