OWC11 - Chart not displaying

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by hewittf, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

System.InvalidCastException: QueryInterface for interface OWC11.ChChartSpace failed

I think you are calling the wrong name. CHChartSpace. Shouldn't it be ChartSpace?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I have the exact same problem, same error message, "System.InvalidCastException: QueryInterface for interface OWC11.ChChartSpace failed." Works great on my development machine. Have you solved yet?

4. Sure did! Here's a working sample...

5. Has anyone gotten OWC11 to work in C#? I've tried different combinations of ChartSpace, ChChartSpace and ChartSpaceClass to no avail.

6. Ladies/Gentlemen! Has anybody, but Frank Hewitt, managed to SUCCESSFULLY run -- at a DiscountASP server -- his (or any other) code implementing OWC11? The code in question had been posted on 1/11/2005, and works fine in a local environment (like any other implementation of the same component.) If you have a clue, please share it with me. Also, where can I find detailed specifications of the control properties & methods? Thank you.

Detail: the code fails at the first line, the class instantiation...

chartspace = CreateObject('OWC11.ChartSpace')

Error: ?QueryInterface for interface OWC11.ChChartSpace failed?

7. Bruce

I think the InterOp you uploaded has problem.

I also did a search on Google and found many people having the same problem.

You see, there is not class named

OWC11.ChChartSpace.

In general, I think it is a pain to use COM object in .NET!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. Thank you, Bruce, for your prompt reply! Unfortunately, it doesn't help since it doesn't have a positive input. (The Interop I uploaded is the one created by VS.NET after I'd referenced the component, and, simultaneously, the one that works fine on my machine.) Please understand: I am NOT saying you?re wrong, not at all. However, I am still facing the same questions:

A. How to proceed from this point on?

B. Where can I find a detailed WRITTEN description of OWC11 class?

Thank you again,
    --Anatoly

9. Bruce

I'll give it a test when I get a chance but I can't promise anything. This OWC / ASP.NET interoperabilty seems to be a big bitch. I search Google and found tons of people running into th same error but no one could give a definitive answer.

This is a good article

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/owc11article.asp

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Thank you, Bruce,

Please reveal to me what you found in the referred article special/unknown, which is able to move us forward. Yes, the code of the article works Ok locally (in .NET) but fails in the DiscountASP .NET environment right in the first active line, INSTANTIATION of OWC11 component!!! Since I don't know my server's settings, let alone the access to it, I cannot open a ticket with Microsoft seeking their help. In this case, I believe, it is a full responsibility of the provider to resolve the problem. It's not about helping a client to debug his application. The code is tested, and proved in local .NET environments. I cannot understand why DiscountASP resists opening a ticket with Microsoft.

Thank you,
    --Anatoly

11. Bruce

OK. I gave the OWC11 InterOp a test and confirm the same problem.

I'll look into this more.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

12. Thank you, Bruce.

Have you noticed that the instantiation works fine in plain ASP but fails in ASP.NET?

13. Hello,

I have a problem, I don't know how to create a Word document using OWC, people, please help me.

Who knows it, please write a sample code or send it to my e-mail [email protected]

Thank you

14. Why do you need the OWC to create a Word doc? Isn't it like taking a plane to cross a street?

15. Bruce

Yes.

And i am totally baffled!! This should not happen!

The thing is that many people are seeing the same problem, just do a search on Google and you'll find tons. Bad thing is that no one seem to be able to resolve that.

OWC is not a popular component and I just couldn't find much on this topic. I'll keep looking, let hope we find an answer.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

16. Bruce,

Why to deem the situation a conundrum? Opening a ticket with Microsoft doesn?t cost a fortune, just the opposite :) It will put an end to the problem once and for all. You work for DiscountASP; it cannot be hard, can it??

Regards,
    --Anatoly

17. Bruce

you must not have worked w/ MS before. They do not provide much help with development related issues.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

18. As a matter of fact, I have worked with them on a number of occasions, both 'officially' (while working for Computer Associates) and as a private developer. I agree, generally, they're not responsive and knowledgeable enough (like people everywhere.) However, if one demonstrates perseverance, and elevates the trouble ticket to a certain level then they give up sooner or later, find the right person, and discover a solution to the problem. Have I convinced you, Bruce? :)

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.