Publishing with FP2003

Discussion in 'FrontPage' started by BarrySumpter, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Super novice... (absolute beginner)

Just had a quick read thru
    http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10169
    (thanks so much for this article!!! Brilliant!)

I would like to create a sub directory like:
    http://www.yourdomain.com/web/

Where the 'web' directory would contain all my web files.

(Please read thru the article (very short) above to put my question in context)

At the moment FP2003 is taking 2+ hours to syncronize to http://www.yourdomain.com/. i.e. NOT /web/

Is there a better / faster way (maybe just FTP the files over) ?

How can I point FP2003 to http://www.yourdomain.com/web/ ?

Any suggestions?

discountasp.net rocks!

Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter

Post Edited By Moderator (Joel Thoms) : 7/10/2006 8:48:11 PM GMT

2. http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10107

Are there any precautions I should be aware of when using FrontPage?

If you choose to publish using FrontPage, we recommend that you do not use any other program to transfer files to your website via FTP. (eg. WSFTP, ..etc.). It is possible for your FrontPage extensions to become corrupt, which may affect the functionality of your website. In these cases, you may need to reinstall FrontPage extensions and reupload your website.

Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter

Post Edited By Moderator (Joel Thoms) : 7/10/2006 8:48:21 PM GMT

3. To use heavy-loaded software apps you really need a fast internet provider, I hope you?re not on a dial-up...lol.A good fast PC would help you if you have a fast internet provider.</o:p>

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

how big is your site?

Though not officially stated, FrontPage has problem with very large website. If your site is bigger than 100 MB, I suggest you consider some other editors.

I have seen report that it takes an hour to recalculate the hyperlink on a large website.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. I am very sorry to see that this set of issues has not been resolved to a level expected of a Gold Certified Partner such as discountasp.net hosting (indeed a VERY fast hoster). As you all know, discountasp.net is certified for Frontpage hosting Exclusively, and therefore does its utmost to ensure always-on, always-running IIS6 with SharePoint installed (SharePoint has to be installed and fully suported accoring toi the MS Gold Cert Partner agreement).

That said, FTP will never screw FP extensions ever. Not ever. UNLESS; unless you upload or download the FP-created files - which you normally would not do, as the IIS uses and modifies those files when you up/down load using FP (FP up/downloads using only http). The files you do NOT want to up/download with FTP clients are the hidden ones (those files that start with the underscore character; as in _vti_pvt, for instance). Don't touch em. ONLy FP will change and delete or create those files AS NEEDED.

The problem? FTP clients ALWAYS show the "hidden" files! So be CAREFUL.

Now, as far as if front page extensions bcoming corrupt? Yes, they do. But, there would never be a chance in Hell that you would ever have to re-upload your website to fix the extensions. Although, somnetimes it is easeier and more efficient to do so if the extneions are just totally screwed (as if you used an FTP client to backup your site daily, that would most definately screw the extenions.). BTW, to backup your FP enabled site, you must actually Publish Site to your local drive. Yep, that is how you do it, and is the ONLY recommeded way that MS suggests itself!

Now to hopefully answer the actual question! To create a folder called /web/ to stoire all your files is possibly - well, ,let's just say, there is no possible reason nor possible advantage in doing so. BUT, if yoiu need to, create a SUB WEB (this is NOT a sub domain - VERY different, do not ever confuse the two, not ever).
    By creating a subweb called (in your specific case) WEB, you can then have almost all of your site running from inside it. You will need to add /web/ to your DNS pointer (NOT recommended, nut it does work), so oyoiu would have NS1.discountasp.net/web/ (and the other one). But, the best way is to just have your index.shtml page redirect to your new home page in the subweb you created called WEB.

Afact about FP and web size: FP will have issues recaclulating a subweb or main web with 1500 files or more and MS MVPs have seen problems with as little as 1000 files. That's about it, really. So, that's why Frontpageintroduced the concept ofSUBWEBS. They are there for COLLABORATION and for SECURITY. You cannot travers from inside a subweb to another or to the root web without either a diect link or an index file inside said web (and then you need to know the exact filename to get to it). This is true even if your control panel/hosterALLOWS directory searching - also not recommended. By using subwebs throughout the whole design of your site, your reclac times will drop immensely and noticably. The relcalc is based soley on how many files you have in the web that has the MOST already in it - NOT ON TOTAL SITE FILE QUANTITY OR SIZES. Also , FP does not care one lick how many MB og GB or TB your whole site is - if you don't believe me, just ask MS about how large their main website is (its at least 5 TB without the knowledge base, that isin its own server farm).

Remember: FP sites, when installed properly (each site in their own PHYSICAL NTFS PARTITION, not application pool - that is something else entirely, bit it is a good thing to have, just not on a per SITE basis), will function as if each site is on its very own C drive - the way MS inteded it to be.

But watch out for IIS7, because things will actually get MUCH easier! Ecept that every site created properly OR improperly in IIS6 will still have to be reloaded into the fresh IIS7 gardens.

Nobody's perfect.

O hope some of this totally accurate and verified source material is useful to everyone here at discountasp.net

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

7. mjp

mjp

FP2002expert, while what you're saying may all be true in theory, in actual practice, the FrontPage extensions are prone to corruption, it is very cumbersome when dealing with large sites, and using a combination of FTP and FrontPage to maintain a site almost always ends in problems requiring re-installation of FrontPage extensions or re-uploading of the site.

Whether those issues are caused by FrontPage or the "incorrect" use of FrontPage is really a moot point. Warning potential FrontPage users about it's drawbacks is a prudent thing to do, in order for them to make an informed decision. That's just an observation based on supporting FrontPage users - and fixing their sites when they break - for the past ten years. It certainly can do the job for a lot of people, but in general, it is not the greatest program in it's niche.

When Microsoft announced it was discontinuing FrontPage, you could hear a cheer rise up from every web hosting support department on earth (if you listened very closely ;)). From the host's perspective, the program has always been a headache.

mjp
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://DiscountASP.NET