Service Unavailable - DotNetNuke

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by realhackern, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Well, one more... me new with ASP.NET and MSSQL, let´s say 2 out of 5 experience...

Aug.2009- registering with DASP.NET

22.08- After weeks of testing localy LOTS of community CMS portals, decided to go online with DotNetNuke Community Edition 5.1 on ISS7/ MSSQL2008 - ASP.NET 3.5... smooth manual install without errors.

25.08- Service Unavailable - HTTP Error 503.
    ...fast support, problem fixed in minutes.

29.08- Service Unavailable - HTTP Error 503.
    ...at the time of posting, not fixed...

I wont comment more on this subject, but the thruth is that i´m not very satisfied about performance, TWO errors in ONE week with a practicaly empty portal... :confused:

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

did you create a support ticket? 503 is very generic and can have multiple causes.

3. mjp

mjp

Well, we talk about this a lot, and I suppose we'll be talking about it forever. But most of those portals or CMS are not designed to run in an environment with resource limitations. You have to pare most of them down in order to get any consistent performance out of them.

Your "practically empty" portal, if it's trying to load half a dozen different modules, can use a lot of memory. We have seen DotNetNuke installations spike up to 500 or 600 mb of memory use when they start up. Obviously that's going to create problems in many shared hosting environments (and ironically, you really don't want to be at a host where it doesn't cause problems, because it seems good for you on the surface, but your site will suffer when your neighbor's site suddenly decides to use a gig of memory).

We have a lot of users who do run DotNetNuke. But they are not running standard out-of-the-box installations. Try disabling any modules or plugins you don't think you will use.

4. Yeah, i believe you are wright, out of the box my @$$. Five minutes ago came from work and... Service Unavailable - HTTP Error 503 (the third in TEN DAYS!?) :D
    And , one thing that i did not say last time is that the RECYCLE APP POOL from ControlPanel IS NOT WORKING also, it says something like... SERVICE UNAVAILABLE! COME BACK LATER OR CONTACT SUPPORT!? :D (witch i believe i did).
    Look, i came here because, in my opinion, DASP.NET is the best hosting service i could find no matter others say, and tell you the truth, there is nothing less that i expect from you guys. But don´t tell me that DNN5 ¨out of the box¨ is eating 500MB+ of memory in Windows Server 2008 cause you are totaly very very wrooong.. but ho cares. I´ve been watching for week the forum before registering and i´ve seen lots of things... but how i´m not a true webmaster i still could say that maybe staff members need a litle IMAGINATION and that maybe sometimes also try to think out of the box¨!?! ;)

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

if the control panel recycle doesn't work, this almost always means that the application pool has been stopped by IIS because of high CPU usage.

6. 503 Service Unavailable

To the OP, I feel for you. I've been with dasp for ages running a popular, if niche site. Since about 4 weeks ago, I've started experiencing the exact same problem as you describe. I logged a ticket each and every time this happened. DASP were helpful in so much as they said the app pool had consumed 200MB of memory so was shut down. Or the shut down 'hung' the process, hence the message. They provided some event log info which although confirmed this is what was happening didn't really help me. I have spent the last 3 weeks streamlining and refactoring my code to make sure there were no leaks. I identified some potential hogs and quick wins in terms of db access, sqlconnections and stripping out unnecesary objects etc. I have run profilers on my staging box to ensure nothing obvious. All was going well until last night (for about 7 days), when pop, it went again. Nothing in the raw stats apart from web crawlers, nothing unusual at all in fact. No 500 errors worth mentioning, nothing. I reset it again, only to find less than 9 hours later it stopped again! The site is not massive and does not have any forums or anything (although some complex db editing pages do exist). I cannot find any memory leaks or excessively complex code. So I am now at a loss and the planned introduction of a forum has been canned, certainly. I really don't know what to do now. Apart from ensuring I have volunteers on shifts to stop/start the site and recycle the pool when it happens. So sad. :(

7. I think it's a defect or something that they changed between 5.0.1 and 5.1...

I'm running a total default implementation of DNN with no 3rd party modules and both the 5.1 release I upgraded to result in 503 errors...

But 5.0.1 works fine for me...
    So for the time being I'd recommend scaling down the DNN installation a whole bunch like was suggested or using a version earlier than 5.1

I've been posting on the DNN forums for a little bit about this issue and haven't really gotten any help there either

I'll keep messing with it a little but from my experience DNN isn't really that shared hosting friendly of a solution

8. System error!

Last night (couple of hours ago) three servers went completely dead(!?hacked!?)

Eweb101 (IIS 6 web server)
    Esq2k801 (SQL web server)
    Eweb702 (IIS 7 web server)

Now everything looks normal... for me! They do really have a VERY fast support!!!
    (not for commercial reasons) The DASP.NET is the best service i could find on the entire internet and i´m glad and feel lucky for starting my webmaster experience with them. :) As for the DNN, well, i was watching the DASP and the DNN forums for a long time before registering and deciding where to start... THEY ARE THE BEST!!!:cool:

And, for the forum staff, i think i was ¨hacking¨ the my SQL web server from home, or at least i think i can do this without really knowing.:confused:

...i´m not sure, but i´m able to see all the databases inside the server that is hosting mine (not able to access!), and this if i log in from the SQL Server Management Studio... not sure how, but if i do that again i´ll send you screenshots and the steps how i got there. Untill then, GOOD WORK!

Oh, as for the DNN, i did not had problems with the instalation (manual install) and was upgrading couple of days ago to the last version without problems too... i have some posts inside the DNN forum about the manual install and the upgrade too if you all wish to see.