SSL or TLS via port 587 or 465?

Discussion in 'Email' started by Pennidren, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Adding another formal request to the heap. I had actually forgotten that DASP was forcing us to pass passwords around in plain text until I noticed the outgoing POP3 request while working on something unrelated this morning.

As far as the extra maintenance is concerned, implementing SSL for the mail server is nowhere near the scale of implementation of a local MySQL database let alone a datacenter setup with automated provisioning, management, and maintenance. As professionals, we should be promoting good practices for our clients rather than waiting for people to ask (especially when it comes to communications of plain text passwords).

2. Well, I waited and this upgrade has made no difference :mad:

3. I just wanted to give a quick update on this since I just set it up... Google has added port 25 the the list of available ports for sending email as a different address. Choosing this will also add a new option to send mail unsecured. You cannot choose this option if you pick the alternate ports... just an FYI for anyone who is listening for updates.

4. mjp

mjp

Hey, thanks for that info, xtrmcheeze!

5. mjp

mjp

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.