The query processor could not start the necessary thread resources for parallel query

Discussion in 'Databases' started by abodineau, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi
    I use SQL Server 2008 and in the past hour or so I've kept getting this error message:
    "The query processor could not start the necessary thread resources for parallel query execution."

A quick search in Google tells me that this is because the SQL server is busy. Is it possible to fix this at your end (having fewer databases per server) or checking how busy each database is, making sure that each database doesn't use too much server ressources, etc?

Right now my website is hardly usable and my visitors keep getting the above error message (well, a user-friendly is shown to them instead) and they can't do anything with the site.

Regards,
    Anthony Bodineau.

2. Anyone? I've had this problem for hours now. I'm hardly using my database now and i keep getting this error message "The query processor could not start the necessary thread resources for parallel query execution." which means the server is busy. As a result my website is hardly usable. Is it possible for you to check which database is using all the ressources?
    The server I use is: sql2k801.discountasp.net

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I never seen this error before. I checked the monitoring system and the server seems to be healthy.

I recommend you open a support ticket if you continue to see this problem.

4. I opened a support ticket and the answer was that I would be "directed to the system administrators."...

When you monitor the system do you keep a log? If so you should see the error message that I got in the log of this server: sql2k801.discountasp.net

This probably lasted for a few hours yesterday but bythe time you checked everything was back to normal.

If this problem occured because some of the other customers are over-using their database on the same server as mine (sql2k801.discountasp.net) then we need to know as it's very likely to happen again and very frustrating for those affected by it.

5. I have the same problem again. As soon as I execute a stored procedure I get this error message 'The query processor could not start the necessary thread resources for parallel query execution.' which means the server is busy.

Can someone look into this? My website is unusable in the meantime. This is critical to me. If it cannot be fixed then I will have to move my website to a different web hosting company. I just can't wait.

+Support doesn't reply back to my tickets which is really not a good sign.

6. Bruce

This is so weird.. i checked the helpdesk and I do not see a single ticket complaining about the server besides your ticket.

The monitoring system simply monitor CPU / Memory and execute a simple query on the master database. It reported no outage nor latency.

7. Bruce

I think our DBA is already looking into this.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.