"The system cannot find the path specified."...on Win 2003 IIS 6.0

Discussion in 'HTML / PHP / JavaScript / CSS' started by andes, Oct 1, 2009.

1. My server: Windows 2003 IIS 6.0

I want to install a form mail script (php) so I upload a bunch of files.
    I access install.php and install / edit the settings, but when I access the index.php, a white screen appears with a text reads "The system cannot find the path specified.".
    The same screen appears when I directly access other php files, EXCEPT for the install.php...

I uploaded info.php to the root and can view it fine.

Why I can view some php files but other time I get "The system cannot find the path specified."???

Does anyone know why?
    Any solutions out there?

Much thanks in advance.

Andes

2. mjp

mjp

It sounds like you have a path or base directory entered incorrectly in the configuration section of install.php (or wherever the configuration variables are changed).

3. The same php applications works fine in linux / unix servers...but not on win

mjp

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to use a number of php applications on your server but they fail because everytime I access it gives me a white screen with the "The system cannot find the path specified." message.

These applications are already made ones available on the internet for php beginners. They have been tested and function perfectly, but not this time.

I use the same php applications no problem at all on other Linux and Unix servers.

Do you think the reason is because the php application is in Japanese?

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

could it be that you have configured custom error to point to an non-existing page? if your php script errors out, IIS will redirect to the non-existing page.

5. Bruce, thank you for the reply.
    No I dont think that is the case because the script works fine as it is in other servers...

Is it OK to PM you the website address?
    I dont feel comfortable posting it here...

6. mjp

mjp

A couple things: you're using smarty, which is a great template system, but I've never tried to use it on a Windows server (and I do not see any references to it in other forum posts).

I'm pretty sure though that you have to change the include_path in php.ini, and unfortunately you are not going to be able to do that here. There can only be one php.ini per server, and of course we can't change something fundamental like an includes path as it would affect everyone on the server using php. In general we do not make any php.ini changes unless we make them globally, on all servers.

Second, since your scripts are in Japanese I can't really tell if your config is correct or not, sorry. But the include path in php.ini is going to be a stumbling block. You might be able to hack around it, but I couldn't really begin to guess what's involved in that.

7. mjp

Thank you for the information. Now I have a grasp of what the problem is. Fantastic!!! I feel good.

Thanks again for prompt replies!