Connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 beta database using SQL SSMS 2008

Discussion in 'SQL 2008 Beta [Closed]' started by JorgeR, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

Open SQL Server Management Studio, the Connect to Server Window will pop up, select/enter the following:

Server Type: Database Engine
    Server Name: sql2k8-beta.discountasp.net
    Authentication: SQL Server Authentication
    Login: [SQL 2008 beta Login name]
    Password: [SQL 2008 beta Password]

Click connect and you will be connected to the DiscountASP.NET SQL 2008 server.

Please note the following:

- You will need to to use the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) that comes with the SQL 2008CTP
    - Any version of SQL 2005 SSMS is not compatible with you the SSMS 2008 version.

Here is the url for the Feb CTP version - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=749BD760-F404-4D45-9AC0-D7F1B3ED1053&displaylang=en

Post Edited By Moderator (mjp [DASP]) : 6/5/2008 5:05:51 PM GMT

2. Exciting. [​IMG] (Woot)

Installing the download x86 executable version on Vista SP1 right now.
    Will definitely keep everyone posted.
    Salute,
    Mark Wisecarver aka wisemx

3. Beautiful. Worked like a charm.

Thanks,

4. I would love to be able to connect to the new beta instance, but I guess I don't have the proper rights on the server.

When I try to expand the list of databases, I get this:

The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=229&LinkId=20476

Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm running the RC0 SSMS client with VS2008 installed on my Vista SP1 PC (32bit)

5. JorgeR

please try again, the permission has been granted to avoid the error

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

6. One more anomaly. I can't right click and view the Properties of the database. I get a casting error in the client. I suspect it has to do with permissions again as I can use the SQL2K8 client and view database properties on my local 08 instance.

I'd gladly work more closely with DASP support to iron out these little issues.

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. That's odd...I was able to pull up properites just now even on System tables.
    Salute,
    Mark

Attached Files:

8. I can do that as well. What I am trying to do is view the properties of the database. (I get the same error as I posted before if I right click on the master database and choose properties from the menu presented.)

The reason I am trying to get to the properties is that I wanted to know what the database defaults were set at, Recovery model, Auto shrink etc.

I also wanted to check out the new change tracking feature of 08.

9. Right'o...I just checked and can view the properties of my test DB but not the Master DB.
    While I could view the properties of my DB I couldn't change it to Auto Shrink...permissions failed.
    Salute,
    Mark

10. JorgeR

venuehome

please let us the version that you are using, in general , the properties of the database are exactly the same as your database properties

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.