Database Results Error

Discussion in 'FrontPage' started by Trillian55, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Last night, out of the blue, every database results page showed this error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Mid'

/_fpclass/fpdbrgn1.inc, line 269

(it appears to be a section stripping out quote marks - this is not something I've included or changed.)

Once a value is selected from a query-filled dropdown, the error goesaway and the db results are displayed properly. But on entrance to any ofthose pages the error displays.

The date on this file and on fpdbrgn2.inc were both yesterday's date,as was the fbdblib.inc file. I don't know if these dates change everytime the web is uploaded, but I did not run a Windows or Microsoft program update. I publish the website almost daily as I'm constantly adding new graphic imagesand other data changes.

Important item: I know the fbdblib file was updated yesterday as I've changed code there to place paragraph breaks in displayed Access memo fields and they no longer displayed. This happened once before when I ran an
    Office update and I had to reinsert the changed code. I fixed this code againand it fixed the memo field display but had nothing to do with this error.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

hmmm...

no idea on this one.

the error is very bizzare because mid is definitely a valid function.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I actually fixed that error, but now I have a new problem.

I can no longer edit my Access database records. I can add and delete but can't edit.

The "mid" error in my original post and another I didn't mention, I believe arose because a Microsoft Office update occurred automatically (that's only a theory). Anyway, the mid prob was solved by putting in a default value where none had been needed before and the other error was a code change that got overwritten.

But not being able to edit is a new one to me.

I emailed tech support and was told to recalculate my web, which I did with no effect. I've checked everything else - it almost seems like a permissions problem.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

it is not likely that this is a permission problem. if there's anything wrong w/ permission, you will definitely get an error w/ the asp page (unless you are trapping those error)

i suggest you try create a simple script to update a table in the database and see if it works.

Let me know if you need a simple script.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET