Everleap Azure stack - capability to run stored procedure on scheduler

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Sripriya S, May 9, 2014.

1. Hi
    We have a website www.visitorguard.com hosted with Discount ASP and we are planning to use Discount ASP for hosting another site.
    Our current Discount ASP server does not support scheduling of more than 2 tasks. There is also a restriction that we can only execute a url on the scheduler and we cannot run batch / exe files. The ASP located at the url which is to be run on a scheduler also has a timeout of about 2 minutes.

Here is our requirement:
    We want to schedule a job to execute a MSSQL stored procedure and create multiple csv files on the server using the output from the stored procedure. Would we have the same issues of "not being allowed to run BCP / not being allowed to run bat file on scheduler / allowed only maximum of 2 jobs to be scheduled on the server / have timeout restrictions on the ASP or whatever file is being invoked by the scheduler" if we choose to go with Everleap Azure stack? Is there a work around or another feasible solution to help us achieve our requirement?

Thanks!
    Sripriya.

2. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

you can easily create a asp.net webform to execute the stored procedure and save the result to a CSV file. What does the stored proc return? Do you write in C# or vb.net? i can post some code sample

The scheduler doesn't actually timeout.. it just quit waiting for the result after 2 minutes.

3. Thanks, I'm able to invoke the stored procedure from ASP code and write the results to a csv file on the discount ASP server.
    Does the application server (IIS) have a timeout for the execution of the ASP? If the ASP took 10 minutes to invoke the stored procedure multiple times with different inputs and save all the results to multiple csv files, would the ASP run to completion without timing out?

4. I have one more question as well. Will I be able to run a classic ASP 2.0 on the IIS server that you provide, by setting the Application pool as .Net v2.0 Classic? Will I have access to make this modification on the IIS server? At some point if I have to change it to v 4.5, would I be able to do that as well?
    Thanks!

5. FrankC

1) Yes. There's a script timeout. Contact support to have it increased if needed

2) If you run classic ASP, it really doesn't matter which version / mode the application pool is set to run as. AppPool setting only affects ASP.NET

6. If we are running ASP .Net, would we have access to change the application pool settings?
    What is the default script timeout? What is the maximum limit to which it can be increased?

7. Is there a limit on the number of scheduled tasks for a server for the azure everleap? Discount ASP seems to have a limit of 2 scheduled tasks per server.

8. FrankC

sorry. no scheduled task for everleap yet but we'll have it available with the next month or 2.

How many would you need?

9. We might have about 4 scheduled tasks and we would have a csv report to be exported every night. Would the azure package permit us to do that?

10. We might have about 4 scheduled tasks and we would have a csv report to be exported every night. Would the azure package permit us to do that?
    What is the default ASP script timeout? What is the maximum limit to which it can be increased?