Frontpage server extensions?

Discussion in 'Windows 2008/IIS 7 Beta [Closed]' started by Sven, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Is there a way to enable Frontpage server extensions on the IIS7 beta hosting? As it stands I cannot connect to the server using Visual Studio 2008.

FTP access from within Visual Studio also fails with "501 Server cannot accept argument".

Any help?

EDIT: FTP connects now. It looks like it wasn't using passive mode despite me telling it to. Restarting VS fixed it. It's terribly slow though. And I'm getting various errors wrt opening and saving files.

EDIT2: And I can't upgrade the solution to ASP.NET 3.5. Keeps giving errors.

Post Edited (Sven) : 10/16/2007 11:17:07 AM GMT

2. Sven, I don't know the details but there is a known problem with passive mode and some routers.
    I've contacted Linksys and they confirm but don't have a solution other than not using passive mode.

Thought this might be worth mentioning...

3. I'm afraid that Microsoft is trying to phase out FrontPage Server Extensions. It does not come on IIS7 and cannot be installed on it. Sorry.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Actually, Microsoft is currently working onan update for FrontPage extensions 2002that works in Windows Server 2008. AlthoughI wouldn't install it on a site because of its inherent problems with messing with permissions.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. I have no problems with phasing out FPSE as long as I get a suitable replacement. I love the ability to connect VS directly to my site instead of having to edit locally and then upload.

Connecting tothe IIS7 beta serverwith FTP from within Visual Studio 2008 isn't working at all. I get timeouts and other assorted errors (I have no idea if this is a problem with VS2008, IIS7 or your configuration).

If I can't get FPSE, fine, but at least give me a good alternative (this is more directed at MS than at DASP).

Is DASP planning on having FPSE on IIS7 (which as Aristotle indicated, is being worked on) once it goes gold, at least as an option? Or will FTP access be working right by then?

wisemx: I don't have a router. I'm running VS2008 withina virtual machine (VPC2007)with NAT networking with the host (so I have to use passive mode). The host PC is Vista x64 and connected directly to the Internet with a VDSL connection.

EDIT: Since connecting with FTP from VS2005 with active mode seems to work fine, it's either a issue with VS2008 or passive mode. Since I'll likely be able to use active mode when VS2008 comes out (when I'll install it on my machine for real and not in a VM), it might end up not being an issue.

Post Edited (Sven) : 10/26/2007 5:38:53 AM GMT

6. Ok, I've done some checking, and this is definitely Visual Studio's fault. Passive mode just isn't working right. Here's a capture of what's happening when I try to open web.config:

7. Thanks for making an updated note on this bro. [​IMG]

8. Alright, I got a response from MS on my Connect issue on thispoint. Apparently it's related to IE6.

After updating the virtual machine to Internet Explorer 7 with all updates, Visual Studio 2008 can successfully connect to the IIS7 server using passive mode FTP.

So consider my request for FPSE hereby retracted. :)

9. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

this is interesting problem. I wonder if this is a bug. Why would IE cause problem with FTP!!!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. I'm not sure. I guess VS2008 is using some component from IE to do the FTP requests and for some reason that goes wrong with IE6.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.