Help with Domain Pointer and GoogleApps Email Alias mgmt

Discussion in 'Email' started by Stefanie Orozco, Apr 28, 2015.

1. I need help setting up email for a domain pointer on my account.

I set up a new domain pointer on discountasp.net. I did not click "Enabled Email Alias" because I manage email for both the primary domain and this second domain in one Google Apps account. For the domain pointer, I also updated the DNS MX records to point to the google mail servers (aspmx.l.google.com).

In the Google Apps account, I enabled it to manage the emails from this second domain as email aliases corresponding to the primary email accounts.

Unfortunately, I'm receiving no emails.

I know the issue could be on the Google Apps site but has anyone ever set up a domain pointer to have the email managed by google mail servers? Is there a setup step I'm missing on the hosting side?

2. mjp

mjp

If you added all of the Google MX records and the name servers for the pointer domain are set to discountasp.net, it should work.

Not sure about the Google Apps setup re: aliases. I've only set up Google mail for a primary domain. But what you've described should work, assuming the DNS is correct. If it's still not working for you, open a ticket and support can take a look at your DNS.

If that's correct it's probably going to be something in the config at Google.

3. It's working now.

Considering I didn't do anything, I think this must have been something to do with the changes not being fully propagated out to all the servers between discountasp and google apps.

Thanks for confirming, though.

mjp likes this.