How to Validate eMail Addresses

Discussion in 'Classic ASP' started by PGScannell, Apr 5, 2017.

1. I know how to make sure that an eMail address is syntactically correct, but I don't know how to determine, ahead of time, if the address really exists.

We have a serious problem with our website in that over a third of registered email addresses either don't exist (the vase majority of them) or the mailbox is full when you send them something.

I need some software that I can run from within my classic ASP page that can verify that an entered email address is valid. Conversely, I would want to run this software, on demand, to verify all of my eMail addresses one at a time. (the latter would only be run by me from a special menu item on my website).

The absolute biggest thing is to verify email addresses at the time a user applies it to someone's record.

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry

2. mjp

mjp

I don't think you can.

There is an SMTP command, VRFY, that was made to do what you want, but most mail servers don't give a valid response (because spammers caught on to using VRFY).

The most you could probably do is verify that a domain name is valid, but that doesn't give you any insight into individual domain names.