I don't mean to complain...

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by bmkita, Mar 19, 2021.

1. I don't understand how at random times throughout the business day, without warning, your services just stop. Website, email, db connections.? This should never happen during business hours, US. It's getting annoying and frustrating. It's not every day, but it's happening more and more. I understand DOS attacks. But taking servers offline for fixes? It's been three days in a row now where all my stuff breaks at random times. THERE IS NO EMERGENCY FIX IN THE WORLD THAT IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO HAVE IT IMPACT ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS. PERIOD. Does MS know that you do this stuff?

AND WHY CAN"T WE POST STUFF ON YOUR OUTAGES SECTION OF THE FORUM? Not much of a forum is it? When your stuff is done, this is the only way that we have to communicate with you, but you block it. Common Man !!!!! It's gotten to the point where I need to write a complaint to Microsoft about your services. "Silver Award"...yeah...I don't think so.

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

We don't take the servers offline to fix the issue. When a DDoS occurs it takes up our network to the point where nothing else will work. Your website, our website, the email servers, and the databases will all stop working when this problem happens. Why? Because a DDoS attack is like everyone in the city showing up at the same exact time at your local coffee shop. Nothing will work correctly because the system is being overwhelmed.

The issue that happen two days ago occurred because our backbone provider changed something during their recent maintenance on their system. Normally when we see a DDoS attack on our system we respond immediately and get the targeted IP number null routed. So any traffic that gets sent to the IP number just falls off and doesn't affect our network. What happen here is the IP number two days ago was null routed but it didn't work due to their recent changes.

However, today at 10:33 PM PST we had another DDoS attack on our network. But this time our administrators were able to resolve the issue in less than 10 minutes.

We do when the outage is going to be extended. In fact, I was about to post in our forum when the issue was happening. However, our system administrators were able to fix the issue before I had a chance to post it. If you wrote in a ticket you were also replied to after all the systems came back online.

We also communicate on Twitter. I was speaking to the person in charge of our Twitter while this issue was happening about the attack on our network. Before they got to post on Twitter our systems were back online.

If this ever happens again it's best to check our outage board in our forum or our Twitter.

3. Sir, per your post on Thursday: "We will be taking server web710 offline for emergency maintenance." I'm not talking about Tuesday. All I know is that on Thursday, I had an interruption AGAIN(second time in a week, during business hours), right after you posted that. Now maybe you meant "emergency maintenance, after hours", but you didn't say that. And I might NOT be part of WEB710...but I was down again.

I know within ONE minute when you have issues because I have a cron job that runs every minute to warn me of issues. And this is ONLY because your service has not been 99.99% uptime, during business hours, over the past decade.

On Tuesday, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what was happening; if it was my connection; my ISP; my systems; or YOU. 30 minutes!! I'm sure many others were going through the same thing. And if you just posted something ASAP on your forums..I could have moved to backups. I did check Twitter(see below) COMMUNICATION is your #2 responsibility. You are essentially our IT department. And we pay for it. When everything fails, this forum is our only lifeline.

To reply to your comments: 1) can't create a ticket if your website is down due to a DDos attack. 2) I went to twitter on Tuesday, and the last thing that I saw was from 2016, but now I see that that was pinned, so that threw me off. Maybe that should be removed, or put into the description part. (should ANY tweet really be pinned?)