Importing existing Website to Visual Studio 2008

Discussion in 'Visual Studio' started by victorson, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,

I think this is really easy thing, I just need some directions.
    I currently have an existing working website hosting on discountASP, I don't have any backup project files.

And I would like to import the website to my visual studio, so that I can manage users on my computer. Can you point out how I can do this?

Is there anyother way to manage, add/remove my user accounts in my ASP.net application?

Thanks
    Victor

2. Hi,
    Create an empty folder somewhere on your system.
    Run VS and create a new empty site using that folder.
    Use the Copy Web Site feature and connect to the remote site.
    Now sync the remote files to your local empty folder.
    If you need more help re-post.
    All the best,
    Mark

3. Thanks Mark,

I tried the Copy website function but it takes really long time to copy files, 1 file will take more than an hour, I am sure there is something wrong with the VS configuration.

Is there another way to recreate the project?
    What about if I ftp download the entire site and then create a website and then overwrite the site files onto the project folder, would that work?

Thanks
    Victor

4. ...It should. I do know VS can appear to be choking when using that feature.
    For large files or many files I've been using Expression Web v3, it does a much better job than VS and it can also upload up to 4 files at a time.
    All the best,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.