Notes: wisemx

Discussion in 'SQL 2008 Beta [Closed]' started by wisemx, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  2. Salutations,
    I'll use this post toshare notes.
    This one will be: First Impressions
    Additional posts will be anything beneficial.

Please feel free to comment. [​IMG]

First of all, it is an honor to provide this service for DASP, thank you DASP! You guys rock!

Now...My noteswhile installing this CTP of 2008 on Vista SP1.

1) Installation went better on Vista with SP1.
    I tried to install this same CTP once before but couldn't get past the Server Config section.

2) Really like the new SQL Server Installation Center, very nice addition.
    That is one handy little interface, sure wish it had been there before.

3) User accounts in Server Configuration is still a bit confusing, if using NT local service authority.
    This is obviously designed for the highest security and in that setup for corporate Intranet accounts, for the most part.
    Configuring the services to use a Developer system with NT authorities is somewhat of a bear.
    Fortunately if you type "N" in the username edit boxes you get intellisense-likesuggestions for the NT accounts.
    You for the most part DO NOT want to use the "Use for All" option at the bottom.
    As an example that will hose your SQL Server Agent for sure.

4) One finishing up, 10 Success messages, took a long time for the RebootMessageAction to release the "Next" button.
    Installation took 1 hour and 50 minutes, to install every feature and BOL.

5) After applying the VS2008 KB update for SQL Server 2008 support I rebooted and the system restarted just fine.
    At this point I was running SQL Server 2006 and SQL Server 2008 with no noticeable performance hit. Nice.

6) On starting SQL Server 2008 it noticed my 2005 registrations and asked if I wanted to add them, I did, no problem, very nice.

7) On opening the Management Studio I added my SQL Server 2005 databases, my 2008 DB and the DASP 2008 beta.
    That alone was very impressive. Love it.

8) Just for kicks I imported my Excel Mime types, the first column was corrupted same as importing into SQL 2005.
    The big difference here is 2008 has new features for working with table data in Query windows.
    There are some very handy options you can simply select from the menu now, by right-mouse clicking on the table.
    Man I love that, "about time" comes to mind. [​IMG]

9) Pumping data in and out of my local SQL Server 2005 to the DASP 2008 beta by using my local 2008 CTP was sweet!
    I'm like a kid in a candy store. [​IMG]

Sound like a fan don't I?
    All the best,
    Mark Wisecarver aka wisemx

3. Saving changes isnot permitted.

[​IMG]?

Testing sql2k8beta_wisemx just now, created a Diagram to test making changes to an existing table.
    Attached file shows the resulting error message.

OK, cancelled Diagram, went into Table Design mode.
    Same error message.

Will we be required to drop tables to make changes?
    Salute,
    Mark

UPDATE:
    On SQL Server 2008 making a change, as Admin, locally will override this behavior.
    I was just able to make the change then edit the same table on sql2k8beta_wisemx. [​IMG]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb895146(SQL.100).aspx

Post Edited (wisemx) : 6/6/2008 3:50:12 PM GMT

Attached Files:

4. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

wisemx
    I also experience this issue at the beginning just trying to safe a table. glad u got it working

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

5. That really was a surprise for me after using SQL Server for so many years.
    Did some Web searches and found a ton of developer blogs where guys were beefing about that error. [​IMG]
    It's sort of like Vista's UAC but for SQL Server. LOL

btw...What sort things would you like me to test?
    Salute,
    Mark

6. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

feel free to test at will and supply any feedback and new features that you would like to see with sql 2008. As you are aware, there are some limitations that we can open up as a hoster. I will go ahead and create a thread where all customers will be able to make their suggestion: SQL 2008 feature suggestion by beta customers - junior

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Currently running simple tests to confirm all-is-well.

Here's an ASP.NET 3.5 ListView pulling records from the AdventureWorks DB.
    http://iis7test.com/sql2008test.aspx

Works as expected, coded as expected, nothing to report other than Success. [​IMG]

Salute,
    Mark

Post Edited (wisemx) : 6/25/2008 10:16:54 AM GMT

8. Note: Things have been crazy here...I haven't been able to do more SQL 2008 testing.
    (My lovely wife's birthday, my youngest child's birthday and our wedding anniversary, over the past few days.)

Wanted to test SQL to rename a table that contained a PK.

1. Love the Intellisense and the notes in the query windows. Sweet.
    2. Ran this:
      sp_rename 'TimestampTable', 'timestamp_table'
    3. SQL Server 2008 renamed the table but also provided a Caution:
      Caution: Changing any part of an object name could break scripts and stored procedures.
    4. Very handy to see the Server name, User account and Database in the footer.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.