Receiving eMail code help

Discussion in 'Classic ASP' started by PGScannell, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I can send eMails from my website and have been able to all along. I now have a requirement where I would like to receive an eMail. It's for a validation process I'd like to implement. for example, a person creates a login account for my members' portal. He needs a valid eMail address in order to do it. I will send an eMail to him with instructions to reply for validation (I've had to do this many times with other websites so I know it's do-able).

How can I do this in code from our discount.asp host?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry Scannell

2. Hi,
    The way most of us have done that is to create a simple ID in a database then access it via the request page.
    1) You send out an Email, at the same time you create a DB record with a unique ID/key.
    2) The Email you sent out has an URL to click, which contains that key.

There's usually some followup to do such as marking that key so it is not used again.

The URL would contain a query, such as www.somesite.com/register.asp?ID=Q4370

When the user hits that your code page decides what to do.
    All the best,
    Mark

3. Mark,

I think I may have not asked my question correctly. I need to retrieve eMails from my [email protected] eMail address so I can parse through the message looking for invalid eMail addresses. the problem I am coming up with is there doesn't seem to be eMail receive objects and methods in the CDO object.

4. Mark, Unless what you are asking me to do is send out a special eMail that would only be sent once. In it I would ask the recipient to click on the link which would then go to a special page on my website.

I like that idea now that I've had a chance to review what you were referring to. Thanks

jerry

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.