The FastCGI process exceeded configured request timeout

Discussion in 'HTML / PHP / JavaScript / CSS' started by CrystalCMS, Dec 24, 2012.

1. I've recently installed Joomla 2.5.8 in my hosting account along with a Rocket Theme (http://www.rockettheme.com) Joomla template that uses the Gantry framework (http://www.gantry-framework.org/). This all went smoothly and I saw the website was running as I'd expect however in the Joomla extension manager control panel, I saw that Gantry had an update waiting to be applied. So no problem I thought I'll apply this update.

Here's where the problems started: when I tried to apply this update I got a timeout error from IIS that looked like:

HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error
    c:\php-fastcgi\php-cgi.exe - The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout

At this point things had gone quite bad because I found that it looked like the update must sort have been half applied and the website was broken with a "Unable to find Gantry library. Please make sure you have it installed." error.

It seems like the update process has timed out and aborted part of the way through resulting in a messed up deployment. I've tried to modify the fastcgi configuration in my web.config with this but it doesn't appear to help:

Code:
    <system.webServer>
    		<fastCgi>
    			<application fullPath="c:\php-fastcgi\php-cgi.exe" activityTimeout="1200" instanceMaxRequests="10000">
    				<environmentVariables>
    					<environmentVariable name="PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS" value="10000" />
    				</environmentVariables>
    			</application>
    		</fastCgi>	
    	</system.webServer>

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
    Joe

ps Happy Xmas!

2. Well that's great to know I have some granular control over this stuff, thanks for the tip. I found it's a file called .user.ini that I needed to create in the site root.

Thanks again!

3. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

4. Again great info thanks. I do have one more question - a couple of times I've seen an error thrown by Joomla that looks like this in the browser:
    I'm pretty sure this isn't a php setting but I do believe the timeout that's being referred to in this error is the activity timeout on the fastCGI module - in some cases this can be configured in the web.config (as I mentioned in my first post):
    Code:
    <system.webServer>
    		<fastCgi>
    			<application fullPath="c:\php-fastcgi\php-cgi.exe" activityTimeout="1200" instanceMaxRequests="10000">
    				<environmentVariables>
    					<environmentVariable name="PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS" value="10000" />
    				</environmentVariables>
    			</application>
    		</fastCgi>	
    	</system.webServer>
    My question is: is it possible to configure the activity timeout for the fastCgi module in the web.config / the .user.ini file / anywhere else somehow or is this just not supported here?

Cheers,
    Joe

5. No, I'm afraid not. This module affects everyone on the server so by altering it can alter other sites as well.