TLS error with sending mail in PHP

Discussion in 'HTML / PHP / JavaScript / CSS' started by hcpawpals, Apr 22, 2022.

1. I am getting a TLS error when trying to mail from PHP.
    Here is the error: authentication failure [SMTP: STARTTLS failed (code: 220, response: Start TLS negotiation)

I am using the sample code in the knowledgebase for the PHP code like this (with appropriate code for username, password, smtp host, etc): This code has been working for years and now all the sudden it is giving an error. The code below was using the default port (25) and I changed it to 587. I have email set up on my cell phone and it uses smtp.hcpawpals.org and port 587 and i can send and receive email on my phone OK.

require_once "Mail.php";
    $from = "Sender ";
    $to = "Recipient ";
    $subject = "This is a test email sent via php";
    $body = "This is a test email";
    $host = "[Mail Server Name]";
    $username = "[email protected]";
    $password = "email_password";
    $headers = array ('From' => $from, 'To' => $to, 'Subject' => $subject);
    $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp', array ('host' => $host, 'port' => '587', 'auth' => true, 'username' => $username, 'password' => $password));
    $mail = $smtp->send($to, $headers, $body);echo "mail sent"; ?>

has there been changes to the way PHP sends email with mail.php?

the code to use localhost (email without smtp) works just fine. Code like this:

$to = "[email protected]";
    $subject = "this is the subject";
    $message = "this is the message";
    $headers = "From: [email protected]";
    if (mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers)) {
    // mail went OK
    } else {
    // mail has errors
    }

Thanks,

Warren

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

I believe you currently have a ticket with us. The issue in your case was a possible wrong password for the email user you're using. Can you try resetting the email password for your email user? https://support.discountasp.net/kb/a1176/how-to-reset-your-email-password-in-the-control-panel_.aspx

If you don't have a ticket with us please open one. Provide us with the real SMTP settings on the ticket. https://support.discountasp.net/

3. Sorry, I thought the forum was not the same as tech support. I can log into the [email protected] email with smartermail and use the same password as in the php code. And I login OK. I have changed the php code to smtp authenticate with a different email address [email protected] and the correct password and it still gets the same error. I can login to smartermail with the same password for [email protected] that I use in the php code and it works just fine. This code was working and had been working for several years. then all of the sudden a few days ago it failed. Don't believe it is a password issue.

Here is the php code I am using...
    $from = "Calendar Info <[email protected]>";
    $to = "Warren Smith <[email protected]>";
    $subject = "Calendar Pictures Uploaded";
    $body = "Calendar Pictures have been uploaded.";

$host = "[smtp.hcpawpals.org]";
    $port = "587";
    $username = "[email protected]";
    $password = "*******";
    $headers = array ('From' => $from,
    'To' => $to,
    'Subject' => $subject);
    $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',
    array ('host' => $host,
    'port' => $port,
    'auth' => true,
    'username' => $username,
    'password' => $password));

4. I set up debug to look at the smtp tls authentication. Here it is: Seems the TLS is not negotiating properly.

DEBUG: Send: EHLO localhost

DEBUG: Recv: 250-sm03.internetmailserver.net Hello [96.31.33.35]
    DEBUG: Recv: 250-SIZE 41943040
    DEBUG: Recv: 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
    DEBUG: Recv: 250-STARTTLS
    DEBUG: Recv: 250-8BITMIME
    DEBUG: Recv: 250-DSN
    DEBUG: Recv: 250 OK
    DEBUG: Send: STARTTLS

DEBUG: Recv: 220 Start TLS negotiation
    DEBUG: Send: RSET

DEBUG: Recv: ecurity failure