Where did the beta databases go !

Discussion in 'SQL 2008 Beta [Closed]' started by Wizard Of Woz, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I know they are still there cause the webservices I have set up to read data from the database I created still responds - yet when I connect now with SQL Studio Manager 2008 I connect fine but can only see the system databases and get the following error:-

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------
    Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
    The server principal "SQL2008_421106_beta_user" is not able to access the database "SQL2008_285097_beta" under the current security context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 916)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=916&LinkId=20476
    BUTTONS:
    OK

So what did you guys change as this was all working fine last week !!

2. Well I banged my brains out for 2 hours trying to figure why I xan log on to the Server but not see any User Datavases

If anyone else has gad this problem please let me know how you got around it

meanwhile I will go hiking for a new ASP host provider with a more reliable beta to test on

3. Hey Wiz,
    You felling OK? Got some crazy typos there, reminds me of the 70's. [​IMG]

I just checked yourSQL2008_421106_beta_user database is there.

You can't connect to it?
    Salute,
    Mark

4. Los

Los

I have the same issue. Something must have changed since everything was working fine last week. Any thoughts? It appears as if something must be crossed. For whatever reason, it is not letting me access my account because it is trying to access something on SQL2008_285097_beta which is the same account as the first thread. Can someone at DiscountASP.NET help us with this? It is a strange coincidence that both of our systems are having the same error pointing to the same SQL account. Thanks.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
    The server principal "SQL2008_221390_beta_user" is not able to access the database "SQL2008_285097_beta" under the current security context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 916)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=916&LinkId=20476
    BUTTONS:
    OK

5. I guess something crazy could be going on.

Just checked one of my test pages, still working:
    http://iis7test.com/SQL2008Test.aspx

Open a support ticket and ask if anything changed on your SQL beta account.
    Only thing I've noticed is there are so many databases in it now everything is soooo slow for me.
    Salute,
    Mark

6. Los

Los

My test site is still working(i.e. queries against the db)but I am unable to access via managment studio. I opened a ticket with supportand they mentioned they are not supporting Sql 2008 and suggested I post in this forum (Not cool!!!). I think the issue is on their end. Hopefully they can get it up and running shortly.

Cheers,
    Carlos

7. OK Amigo let's try this...
    Look in your SQL Server 2008 folder, Configuration Tools...
    Then fire-up the SQL Server 2008 Configuration Manager.

Click on SQL Server Services.

Then on the right side, under Log On As, what are the SQL Server services running under there?
    I've been able to connect to the Beta SQL Server by running all as LocalSystem, then I connect to the beta server as Admin.
    By as Admin I mean on Vista, I've pinned the Management console and have set it to run as Administrator.

By doing it this way you bypass any NT Authority issues, so it seems anyway. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

8. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

please try again and see if you are still getting the error and if so, upload a jpg file. We have not changed anything on the beta server

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

9. JorgeR

It seems that the database that you where seeing had a misconfiguration

junior

DiscountASP.NET

www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Hi Los

Glad it's not just me - but sorry to see a few others are having issues also.

Just to clarify my situation 'cause I was a bit bleary eyed last night,

I can connect to my account but the problem is that there are no user databases available, just the system database folder

I can however read and write data to my database via the webservices I have set up so I know it is still there somewhere.

It looks like maybe someone has changed the permissions on my user role perhaps such that I cannot see my database objects in SSMS.

So in summary I can connect fine to the server
    but now instead of seeing the 50 odd user databases that used to be in the User database Folder
    there is now NO User database Folder and the only the System Databases.

Hope that this can be resolved fairly quickly - so far I have been quite impressed with the response of the 2008 beta
    but stilll have a few things to try out

the Wiz

11. See now I should have checked the database first before posting

Everything seems to be back and in order now so forget my last post and thanks to the DiscountASP team for a speedt resolution

just out of interest - what was the problem here - (for future reference) :)

with great gratitude

the Wiz

12. JorgeR

13. Thanks for the headsup...I signed the action and added it to my Msft Connect watch. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.