Will 2008 databases survive the end of the beta period?

Discussion in 'SQL 2008 Beta [Closed]' started by wisemx, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,
    We are close to the official release but it has not received an official announcement yet.
    Rumor was it could have been yesterday, but alas, it didn't happen.</o:p>
    I've got some suspicions about what happened but they are only my own guess. [​IMG]
    As for data in the Beta SQL Servers, you will do best to have one of the free trials of SQL Server 2008 on your end.
    Then keep pumping your data so you have a local copy.
    Salute,
    Mark</o:p>

2. Thanks for the reply. I can do that, I suppose.

You don't think, though, that there will be the opportunity to roll your database into a paid addon?

3. Hi everyone,

New customer, just signed up yesterday. I'm going to be needing a database, and I'd like to use 2008, and I have a couple of questions.

Is this still a beta program? 2008 is in final release now, no?

If the program is still on, and I elect to use it, what happens to my DB when the program ends? I don't mind paying for the service, but I want some sort of confirmation that my beta would be converted to a legitimate addon and not just disappear when the beta program ends.

If anyone could shed light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

SQL 2008 launch is eminent but there is no set date yet. After SQL 2008 is officially released, the beta servers will be taken offline and wiped clean. If you have important stuff, then make sure to keep local copies.

Eric
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2008 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best .NET Hosting Service

5. What am I supposed to do if I don't have that data locally?

I'm creating a forum that will obviously contain user generated content. I don't have a local version because the content was not created locally, and it doesn't seem I have access to any sort of control panel to create a backup.

Do I have no choice but to wait to start development, or just use 2005?

Could I possibly start with a 2005 DB and upgrade to 2008 after the launch?

Post Edited (jedimuppet) : 8/5/2008 1:44:54 PM GMT

6. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

The SQL beta hosting is for testing purposes. You should not be using it for a production site/forum. If you are, then you'll need to backup your stuff on your own local computer.

Or, you can use the productionSQL 2005 database. After SQL 2008 is officially launched, you will be able to migrate to SQL 2008.

Eric
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2008 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best .NET Hosting Service

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.