How to install ASP.NET 2.0 Club / Personal Starter kit?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Bruce, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hello all!!

We have received many questions as to how to install the ASP.NET 2.0 starter kits (Club / Personal) on our server. Below is a unofficial process that i used to install the kit.

Requirements:

VS.NET 2005 or VWD 2005
    SQL Client (Query Analyzer, osql, sqlcmd, Management studio, etc..) for you to execute the SQL script that create the starter kit.

Procedure:

I am going to use the club starter kit here as example but the the personal starter kit should work the same way.

1) Download and install the starter kit if you do not already have it installed on your computer. Grap it at http://www.asp.net

2) Create a new website / project using VS.NET 2K5 or VWD 2005. Use the Club starter kit template.

3) Create the Application Services Database on the our SQL

a) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    b) execute this aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]

You can also use the wizard by just running aspnet_regsql.exe, but i found couple bugs in the UI. So, just run the command line!!!

If do not see any error, you are good to go to next step. If you see errors, then you probably typed something wrong or you have some objects in your DB that conflicts w/ the Application Service DB Schema

4) Create the starter kit database schema (MS suggest you put it on a different Database, but i put both the Application Services Database on the same server and had no problem.. up to you!)

I am mystified w/ this step.. According to Microsoft, you will need to download a seperate script for SQL 2000 and MSDE. I compared the downloaded sql script w/ the one bundled w/ the starter kit (in App_data directory), they are exactly the same !!!!!

Anyhow, run either the bundled script or the downloaded script using any SQL client. I used osql.

osql -S <sql server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i club-add.sql

This should create the club starter kit schema.

5) Open the Web.config file in VS.NET / VWD.

Change the connection string to point to the remote SQL server.

Comment out the orginal connection string (or just delete it if you want). By default, the starter kit uses SQL Express.

<!--<add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>-->

Add the following lines

a) This configure the club starter kit use the remote SQL server
    <add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=<DB_Server>.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<DB_User>;Password=<DB_password>' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>

b) The next line overide the default setting on the server
    <remove name='LocalSqlServer'/>

c) This line is for the membership provider. It tell asp.net to use the remote SQL server.

<add name='LocalSqlServer' connectionString='Data Source=<DB_Server>;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<DB_User>;Password=<DB_password>' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient' />

6) Now build the kit by hitting Ctrl-F5. This step will also create the Role in the SQL server.

7) Create the administrative user.

Bring up the ASP.NET Configuration Tool. IN VS.NET, website -> Asp.net configuration Tool

This will pop up a browser with the UI. Note that this configuration is pulled from the remote SQL server for the membership stuff.

Goto the security tab. Create an admin user for the starter kit. Make sure you give it administrative role.

8) Deploy your site to a subdirectory (or root if you prefer) using Copy Web Site function in VS.NET. If you don't know how, there is a kb article.. look it up yourself.

BTW, if you deploy to a sub directory, create the directory using FTP first. If the directory do not exist, VS.NET will crash. This is a bug!

9) Last step

Logon to the hosting control panel.

1) Navigate to IIS Manager -> Framework Version
    2) Make sure you have version 2.0 selected.

3) Then navigate to the web application tool and mark the club SK as an application.

That is it!!! Enjoy!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Post Edited (bruce [DASP]) : 1/30/2006 8:42:47 PM GMT

2. [​IMG]Bonjour,

If you would have been in front of me, I would have kiss you !!!!
    I've been trying to install these starter kits many times, without success ...

Your solution works perfect !

Thank you.

I only had 1 problem, with the command line :

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regsql -S sql2k501.discount
    asp.net -U****** -P ***** -A -all -d SQL2005_203366
    _faconsulting

It reply :
    The specified feature is undefined.

I started the wizard, and then it worked ...

Strange, isn't it ?

Cordialement
    F.AGNES

PS : I apologize for my poor English Language ... [​IMG]
    I'm just a french guy that try to say things ....

3. I followed all the directions and got this running on localhost with no problems. When I deploy it to the hosted enviroment I keep getting the following......Any ideas? I'm new to ASP.NET 2 so maybe it's something obvious.

Server Error in '/pws' Application.

Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider'.

Source Error:

Code:
    Line 48:     <roleManager enabled="true">
    Line 49:       <providers>
    Line 50:         <add name="AspNetAccessProvider2" type="System.Web.Security.AccessRoleProvider" connectionStringName="AccessFileName" applicationName="/"></add>
    Line 51:       </providers>
    Line 52:     </roleManager>
    Source File: E:\web\garysilcoxc\htdocs\pws\web.config Line: 50

4. QLN

QLN

Hello,

I would be willing to pay someone to set up the Club Starter Kit on our DASP site.

We sometimes have other small projects to outsource. If anyone is interested please contact me.

Thank You!

Vincent

5. The AccessRoleProvider was dropped from the .NET 2.0 framework. I believe at one point it was available (alpha?), but not in the newest release.

However, there is downloadable source code for a sample Access provider on the MSDN site.

Download the Sample Access Providers Starter Kit to get started.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Thank you for all of this helpful information! I've been working all day to get my starter kit up a nd running on the web servers! Now that I've got it all up, I have a new dilema. I'm working with the Personal Site Starter Kit. I used the site on my local machine and created albums and photos into the default SGL Express databases that were already created. Since I had to recreate the databases on the web server I no longer have the data I had inthe .mdf files. Is there any way I can import the album and photo datainto the new databases on the web server? I'd hate to have to start from scratch on buildingthosealbums again. Any help isMUCH appreciated!!

Thank you,

luk1128

7. Gary,

The error you are getting relates to the Access Data Provider, but the starter kit uses the SQLProvider. Are you using MS Access on your development machine?

8. I am getting the following error when I am doing setup number 5 (ctrl-f5) .... any suggestions...

Server Error in '/ClubWebSite2' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source Error:

Code:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

Code:
    [SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +173
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +199
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean&amp; useFailoverPartner, Boolean&amp; failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +1069
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +606
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +193
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +502
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +429
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +70
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +512
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +85
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +89
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +160
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +118
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +139
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1661
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.GetData() +50
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +214
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +54
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +62
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound() +55
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +13
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +88
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5731

Version Information:Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42 <!--
    [SqlException]: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.GetData()
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind()
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound()
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
    -->

9. Your computer's default connection protocol is set to named pipes. Use TCP/IP instead. See this KB article:
    http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10381

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Post Edited (Aristotle [DASP]) : 12/29/2005 11:42:04 PM GMT

10. I made it to Line (Item) 6 with no problem. However when I use Ctrl F5 to build the kit the page that opens is
    http://localhost:4929/ VSPersonal/ and of course it throws an error Parser Error Message:
    'Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.'
    that points to machine.config Line: 131

Gary

11. Bruce

You probably didn't do this step correctly

5) Open the Web.config file in VS.NET / VWD.

Change the connection string to point to the remote SQL server.

Comment out the orginal connection string (or just delete it if you want). By default, the starter kit uses SQL Express.

<!--<add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>-->

Add the following lines

a) This configure the club starter kit use the remote SQL server
    <add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=<DB_Server>;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<DB_User>;Password=<DB_password>' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>

b) The next line overide the default setting on the server
    <remove name='LocalSqlServer'/>

c) This line is for the membership provider. It tell asp.net to use the remote SQL server.

<add name='LocalSqlServer' connectionString='Data Source=<DB_Server>;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<DB_User>;Password=<DB_password>' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient' />

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

12. Ok... I followed all of bruces directions to the letter however I cant get past the create application services database part.. I get the message:

An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 262 and the SqlException message is: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.
    Creating the SQL2005_215151_XXXX database...

I specifically changed my hoster to discountasp.net because i see that someone got there site up and running with you guys... any suggestions?

[​IMG]??????????????

13. Bruce

Mike,

'execute this aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]'

You probaably didn't type in this line correctly. specifically, the -d flag.

When you do not specify the database w/ the -d flag, aspnet_regsql will try to create the DB.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

14. Bruce,

Your awesome!!! It worked great (once I learned how to spell!![​IMG]).DiscountASP.net is the 4th (YES THE FOURTH) hoster I have come to to get my site listed, and the ONLY one to sucessfully have it work!! All thanks to this forum and the excellent support from your technical support department. I have some users of the site that say the text is too small to read. Any ideas???

Thanks Again

Mike

15. Bruce

that's more like a starter kit issue. you probably want to post it to the asp.net forum.

good luck.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

16. OK Next dumb question!! I have been told that unsing the ip instead of the domain name for the database in the web.config file will speed the web page loading time. What do you think??

Mike

17. Bruce

18. I installed Time Tracker SK, but I faced error,
    <H2>Compilation Error </H2>
    <TD><CODE>
    Line 16: <td vAlign='bottom'>
    <asp:datalist id='tabs' SelectedItemStyle-CssClass='tab-active' ItemStyle-CssClass='tab-inactive' CellSpacing='0' CellPadding='0' runat='server' EnableViewState='false' RepeatDirection='horizontal'>
    Line 17: <itemtemplate>
    [color=red>Line></font>Line 19:
    <%# CType(Container.DataItem, ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.BusinessLogicLayer.TabItem).Name %>
    Line 20: </PRE>[/code]</TABLE>

Do anyone know what should I do?

Post Edited By Moderator (bruce [DASP]) : 6/9/2006 12:11:21 AM GMT

19. it cant find the function Global.GetApplicationPath()

did you upload Global.aspx?

20. Actually Discount Asp.net support section installed it for me, I checked my ftp, Global.aspx is uploaded.
    I was thinking maybe the problem occurs because of the .Net framework.
    They installed ASP.NET1.1 Time Tracker Starter Kit which will not work with the .NET 2.0 framework on my site and theycurrently do not support installation of the ASP.NET2.0 Time Tracker Starter Kit.
    I was wondering if I can change the framework from my control panel.Do you know how should I do that?

21. Well thank you so much, I changed my .NET Frame work to 1.1 and it works, I was looking in Control Panel but i dont why I didnt see .Net Framework Tab!!!!!
    But now I have another problem,In the Registration page (Register.aspx) when I want to register a new user , after clicking on Register and Sign In Now,

Server Error in '/TTWeb' Application.

Login failed for user 'DB_216235_dbcc_user'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DB_216235_dbcc_user'.

Source Error:

Code:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

Code:
    [SqlException: Login failed for user 'DB_216235_dbcc_user'.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.CreateConnection() +402
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest() +151
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean&amp; isInTransaction) +386
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean&amp; isInTransaction) +372
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.DataAccessLayer.SqlHelperParameterCache.DiscoverSpParameterSet(String connectionString, String spName, Boolean includeReturnValueParameter, Object[] parameterValues)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.DataAccessLayer.SqlHelperParameterCache.GetSpParameterSet(String connectionString, String spName, Boolean includeReturnValueParameter)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.DataAccessLayer.SqlHelperParameterCache.GetSpParameterSet(String connectionString, String spName)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.DataAccessLayer.SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.BusinessLogicLayer.TTUser.Insert(Boolean checkUsername, Boolean&amp; isUserFound)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.BusinessLogicLayer.TTUser.Save(Boolean checkUsername, Boolean&amp; isUserFound, Boolean&amp; isUserActiveManager)
       ASPNET.StarterKit.TimeTracker.BusinessLogicLayer.TTUser.Save()
       Register.RegisterBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +138
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

Version Information:Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

This is my User name for SQL SERVER Database .

Is there any problem with the connection string provided in Time Tracker SK?? Or access permissions??...how should I fix it??
    Thanxxxxxxxxxx

22. Bruce

well it looks like you used the wrong database username. Check your connection string.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

23. Super thanks for posting these instructions. I tested the Personal Starter Web site, and followed your directions. After discovering a few errors on my part, I successfully managed to get it to work.

George

24. Bruce

25. A little preface about me: I'm a complete beginner with SQL Server. I'm trying to put the Personal Website Starter Kit on discountasp. I have looked at tons of blogs,
    messageboards, etc, including numerous ones within discountasp's site. A lot of the postings I find "assume" you know how to do things with SQL Server. I'm trying
    to learn, but it hasn't been easy so far.

I amusing VS2005, SQL Server 2005 with the SQL Server Management Studio.

So here's the problem:
    I think everthing is fine up until I try to run the aspnet_regsql step. I typed in the command line as instructed in this forum (see below):
    <SUB>aspnet_regsql.exe -S sql2k501.discountasp.net -U {SQL2005_USERNAME} -P{MAIN SQL LOGINFromDiscASP.NET}-A all -d SQL2005_233643_ds
    <SUB>
    I must be missing a step (or steps) along the way because I keep getting permissions-like errors. I hope one of you guys will point out my mistake. Please remember, I am
    new to the concepts of sqlserver (sqlserver 2005), so any help should take that into consideration.
    Here is the message I get when doing the command above in a command-window while in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727> Directory:

Start adding the following features:
    Membership
    RoleManager
    Personalization
    SqlWebEventProvider
    An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 262 and the SqlExcepti
    on message is: CREATE PROCEDURE permission denied in database 'SQL2005_233643_ds'.
    SQL Server: sql2k501.discountasp.net
    Database: [SQL2005_233643_ds]
    SQL file loaded:
    InstallCommon.sql
    Commands failed:
    CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].aspnet_Setup_RestorePermissions
    @name sysname
    AS
    BEGIN
    DECLARE @object sysname
    DECLARE @protectType char(10)
    DECLARE @action varchar(20)
    DECLARE @grantee sysname
    DECLARE @cmd nvarchar(500)
    DECLARE c1 cursor FORWARD_ONLY FOR
    SELECT Object, ProtectType, [Action], Grantee FROM #aspnet_Permissions where Object = @name
    OPEN c1
    FETCH c1 INTO @object, @protectType, @action, @grantee
    WHILE (@@fetch_status = 0)
    BEGIN
    SET @cmd = @protectType + ' ' + @action + ' on ' + @object + ' TO [' + @grantee + ']'
    EXEC (@cmd)
    FETCH c1 INTO @object, @protectType, @action, @grantee
    END
    CLOSE c1
    DEALLOCATE c1
    END
    SQL Exception:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: CREATE PROCEDURE permission denied in database 'SQL2005_233643_ds'.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCo
    pySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe
    )
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.ExecuteFile(String file, String server, String database, String dbFileName, SqlCon
    nection connection, Boolean sessionState, Boolean isInstall, SessionStateType sessionStatetype)

26. Do I have to suscribe for the "MS SQL 2005" addon feature ($10/mo)to deploy the Club Starter Kit?

Thanks.

27. Bruce

28. While I'm a patient man, I'm about to go back to a third generation language, at least I didn't have to consult the Dali Lama with these holistic error messages. <yeah, I'm old school, go ahead and laugh>

I've followed all these directions, site is running, but I have no control over the membership provider and am unable to administrate it when I connect to the site. I changed my connection strings, and gave it a local for the membership provider to be picked up.

No sterno in this cocktail, I swear. HELP?!?
    [​IMG]